Author Topic: calling all electricians  (Read 615 times)

Offline shaunkad

calling all electricians
« on: November 02, 2011, »
I ran into a problem at work last night day shift look at me like I was smoke dope. I have a 480 step down transformer on the infeedI have 480 across the legs both 277 to ground the secondary I have 2 115 taps and 1 230  volt tap I have trouble with the 230 across the legs I have 230 one leg to ground is 200 the other is 50. I say replace they say can't be that.

mods feel free to delete

can any point me to a good forum non christmas lights to post these questions

Offline steve_hirst

Re: calling all electricians
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, »
First I would say to backtrace your ground and make sure that its a good ground. I had an issue once at a jobsite that was much like this one and it turned out that the transformer didn't have a good ground and that gave it alot of flex in the output voltage. If I remember right I had a hot on the lower leg that was shorted to ground and that was becoming the transformers ground refernce. this making the breaker not trip either. once I found the bad ground and fixed it, the breaker tripped and I found the short.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
Re: calling all electricians
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, »
I agree with Steve; sounds like an open or high resistance ground on the secondary side.
Better places to post would be either You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
/mike