Author Topic: different kind of floodlight  (Read 984 times)

Offline winwin

different kind of floodlight
« on: January 06, 2013, »
Anyone interested to try this?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
AL.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: different kind of floodlight
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, »
Haven't tried that, but I did find another excellent RGB flood.
This one from Ray Wu is $24 and is very bright, it includes an internal 3-channel DMX controller, a metal, water-tight housing w/adjustable bracket.
It uses 12V-DC and it is 10watt.  I measured it taking about .86 amps doing full white.
The light can be programmed with channel by Ray, but I've found that it takes a different device to do the programming than what I have -- so, I'll need to invest in a programmer if I want to make changes.
I may measure its intensity later against an Aether2 and CheapO RGB flood.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline davron12

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, »
I used 11 of those this year and the worked great. However, I was concerned with the DMX plugs because they didn't seem water tight to me, so I replaced them with the 3 pin waterproof plugs from Ray. Then, I ran a network cable from the DMX out of the active hubs to the lights, and a separate 12v power line, with waterproof plugs. Make sure you specify what channels you want the devices to be, or Ray will just go in order 1-2-3, 4-5-6.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, »
I used 11 of those this year and the worked great. However, I was concerned with the DMX plugs because they didn't seem water tight to me, so I replaced them with the 3 pin waterproof plugs from Ray. Then, I ran a network cable from the DMX out of the active hubs to the lights, and a separate 12v power line, with waterproof plugs. Make sure you specify what channels you want the devices to be, or Ray will just go in order 1-2-3, 4-5-6.
I replaced the XLR connectors with cat5 pigtails to be consistent with my other DMX elements.  I also ran power in the cat5, consistent with my HolidayCoro elements.

The removed XLR connectors will come in handy for use with Ray's 27-channel controllers. :)

If you want to go waterproof, I'd suggest 4-core connectors (2 pins for DMX, and 2 for power)...  you don't need to carry the extra ground.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, »
Anybody know how the start channel can be programmed on these?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, »
I have an outstanding query to Ray regarding that very question.  I'll report my findings.

Offline davron12

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, »
I had thought about using the 4 core waterproof connectors, however, I ran the power separately because the spots use .83 amps, so I couldn't pass enough current through that thin of wires for all my lights. If you're only running a couple lights, then that would be fine.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, »
I have an outstanding query to Ray regarding that very question.  I'll report my findings.
Ray referred me to this posting, it provides info on the address writer and operational instructions as well:

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, »
Thanks Steve