Author Topic: Started with D-light, moved to DMX, I have some quesitons!  (Read 534 times)

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
Hi all!

I started into this insane but fun hobby about 6 years ago and have run shows every year.
I started with D-light controllers and software and moved to Aurora.
2 years ago I found DIYLightanimation and the great products here.  to date I have built multiple DMX USB Dongles, Lynx Express, SSR4, SSC's, Smart Hubs, wireless,  and now EtD's. Oh Yeah, and a Aeon Clock hanigng in my boys room.

I love the different products!!!

I also switched last year to LSP to handle multi-protocol devices basically to support LOR protocol and DMX.

This year I bit the bullet and installed wireless to area's of the yard it is difficult to reach with wires, and have coverted all my D-light products to DMX.  So far with some minor tweaking everything is working well and while the show is the same as last year, the changes made will help me expand and change for the next few years!

Now for the questions:

1.)  With the D-light controllers running LOR protocol effects like Twinkle and Shimmer occur on the controller instead of discrete control from the computer.  as a result I understand their are differences between the two and I have seen a difference in my show this year.  My questions are around these effects.  I am currently running my refresh interval at 60 due to tweaks made for wireless to work.  While it fixes the wireless, I can tell that there are some missed commands occasionally but not many.  Also, Shimmer does not work!  Will it work with DMX?  What basic guidelines need to be followed when sequencing a song to make it work?
Any changes requred for twinkle?

Just trying to get my head around it for next year!

Everyone have a great Christmas and good luck with your shows!

Mike McIver

650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
I switched my whole show from LOR to DMX this year.  There is a difference in twinkle.  I'm not sure about shimmer.  Fades I must say are really hard to tell.  I'm running LOR S3 and I can't say that the "whole" difference is that noticeable.  My guest certainly don't notice.

In the end, much of it is technical in nature and unless you have a LOR controller next to a DMX doing the same thing I don't think you will notice.

I'm happy with my conversion and I'm pickier than most.

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
I am glad to be on DMX, trust me it opens up a lot that I will be able to do in the future.

I am looking for advice on what to stay away from!  If twinkle or Shimmer do not work in a similar fashion, or require quicker timing than I can provide when using a wireless setup of going thru a Smart HUB off of pixelnet, I just want to know.

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!