Author Topic: LED Fairy lights for a Mega tree or display?  (Read 537 times)

Offline paulcimn

LED Fairy lights for a Mega tree or display?
« on: December 16, 2012, »
My boys wanted to build a spiral tree we saw on YouTube and I was looking for lights. I wanted to do blue and white, and the length of one strand is 30' or 10m. I am concerned that if I use different manufacturer for the lights, they might vary in brightness so I was looking at getting all new light strands... I found fairy lights on eBay, they have the controller, but if I understand correctly, when power is applied, they turn-on in the same function as when they were last turned off.

Has anyone used these in a display and is there anything I should consider before using them?   

Offline urthegman

Re: LED Fairy lights for a Mega tree or display?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, »
I like the lights, but the controllers are extremely flimsy and do NOT hold up to weather in the least. I do a winter scene in my garage and the only thing they are good for is to put under the snow to make it look like ice. Do yourself a favor when you DO buy lights, make sure they are the sealed variety, not the kind that has removable bulbs, the chinese have found a way to make the leads rust very easily and that makes the light string fail so instead of getting 30,000-50,000 hours, you'll be lucky if you get a full season.

Offline SteveMaris

Re: LED Fairy lights for a Mega tree or display?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, »
Along with the above post which I agree with, the wire on those lights are so thin, I think if hung on a megatree, a 10mph wind would break every one.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login