Author Topic: Soldering Station went bad...  (Read 534 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Soldering Station went bad...
« on: October 27, 2013, »
I have used the MPJA 15845-TL (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) soldering station for all of my lighting adventures - 4 years now.  Lots of soldering all of variable quality!

However the iron for this unit has burned out.   Went to MPJA and the replacement iron is sold out - bah!

So I have a question, not which iron is better or best, but...

With SMD stuff apparently becoming a bigger part of the hobby, is there a station that does both SMD and through hole well. Does such a device exist? I see all kinds of "re-work" stations with irons on EBAY but I suspect this is to finish the job or make fixes, not actually do SMD.   Or dose SMD require a "hot plate" approach and we will always need s separate station for through hole jobs?

And for those that know MPJA equipement, I have found a TENMA 21-1590 (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) replacement iron for a unit that looks very similar to the MPJA. Do think these will work with the MPJA unit?

Thanks,
Eric

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
Re: Soldering Station went bad...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, »
For SMT, I tend to use my Weller (an old WTCP from the '90s) or Metcal station, with a fine tip.  I only use hot air when I need to remove a chip.
/mike