Author Topic: Diffuser ideas  (Read 894 times)

Offline injury

Diffuser ideas
« on: November 09, 2011, »
I'm currently trying to come up with ideas for some kind of diffuser/luminary type cover for some smart string rectangles I want to put into a shape.

My first thought would be some kind of cone (maybe 1-2 foot tall) with a material like the innerliner on lamp shades. But it seems that plastic is hard to find in sizes I was wanting.

Other things I've come across that may be promising, frosted clear vinyl (thinking shower curtain or table "protector). 6 Mil "Clear" construction sheeting. Only problem with those is I think I'd need to make some kind of structure for them which I'd like to avoid if for no other reason I wanted it not to have and shadows inside from braces etc while lit up.

One I just thought about which isn't a cone but might be kind of interesting are the round plane white glass light globes. Though I wonder how much light they'll block on these and first glance retail cost of 25 or so will be a bit more than I want to spend.

Anyone have any other ideas or experience doing something like this?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Diffuser ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, »
David Moore (dmoore) has made a business around using corrugated plastic.  It works very well in a number situations.  To get a look visit: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  and set his videos that talk about RGB and diffusion from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tng5737

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, »
I used 1x3 boards (painted white) then mounted my rectangles straight down the middle.  I then covered the top with coroplast in a semi-circle (attached to the sides of the board with screws.   Finally I hot-glued some more coroplast on each end to help keep the weather out.   They look really great - I am going to use them for the corners of my house.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, by tng5737 »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, »
Lets see some pics
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline injury

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, »
Ya I had looked at holidaycoro before, just seemed a bit high compared to what I think I can scrounge and get a little creative with.

Looking at his yardstars again did give me an idea though, if I can find some large pvc or other pipe and cut it at a long angle. Kind of the old classic candle stage light shape.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Lets see some pics

I didn't take any photos during the construction but I have a  somewhat long and boring movie of the diffusers in action.   Although the diffuser is actually standing up against a wall I oriented the camer to fit it all in so it appears horz in the vid.   Also, I am using the Th-2010X to drive it.

I am working on some neat effects using LSP - IF I have a display at all this year (fell off a ladder putting up Halloween decoratiosn and racked-up my back and ribs.) I'll have some more vids of it all installed on house!

Offline meman

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, »
Very nice..thanks for sharing!

Mike E.

Offline Azathoth42

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, »
I was going with a fabric solution, but the shower curtain might work better.

As far as construction goes, I'm thinking a 1-2" ring at the top, and a 24-36" dia. ring at the bottom. 
Then wrap the diffuser around the two rings for your tree shape.

Then hang the top ring on a piece of rebar up the middle, and stake the bottom of the tree to the ground.

That would give you a structured shape, but no visible frame.

My first attempt won't be until after Thanksgiving, but if you're still interested I can post some pics.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, »
My local Lowes carries small sheets of the Coroplast, it is with the sign and vinyl numbers.

Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL