Author Topic: Heatsink Compound  (Read 1649 times)

Offline UncleBuck

Heatsink Compound
« on: March 30, 2012, »
How important is the heatsink compound? I built 3 LE's without do I need to take them apart and put the compound on?

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Re: Heatsink Compound
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, »
Do ya feel lucky, well do ya.......

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, by bisquit476 »

Offline rm357

Heatsink Compound
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, »
It depends on what you plan to connect to them.

If just using led strings or one or two incandescent strings per channel, you should be fine. Just keep it under 2 amps per channel. More than that, things might start getting pretty hot...

If you want a channel to run at the full 4 amp rating, you better go back and put the heat sink compound on it.
The heat sink compound helps the heat flow out of the device and into the heatsink by filling in the microscopic gaps between the two pieces with a thermally conductive material.

RM
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, »
I have a large tube of arctic silver I bought and use for PC's and LE's.  I apply it to all triacs, but in my area where it's usually 32 degrees or lower, and I rarely run the channels full on over 30 seconds, I really doubt it will matter.

It's always a good idea, but depending on the outside temp and how you use them, you very well may be fine.

It would be nice if a small tube could be added to the coops like the LOR kits do.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, »
I like to think of the future and whoever might own my controllers when and if I ever am unable to participate in this great hobby/way of life we are involved in so in my humble opinion I would say it would always be a good idea to put the compound on. Skipping corners while it might work now, is not a prudent long term idea. That's just my 2 cents.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, »
Got it! Now what is the best way to remove the heatsink and apply the compound.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, »
I would leave the heatsink in place and just squeeze a little compound between each of the triacs and the sink.   Removing the bolt that holds the triac tp the sink should let you move the triac away far enough to get the compound in.  It doesn't take much to get the job  done.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would leave the heatsink in place and just squeeze a little compound between each of the triacs and the sink.   Removing the bolt that holds the triac tp the sink should let you move the triac away far enough to get the compound in.  It doesn't take much to get the job  done.

Yes, as Tbone321 said, but to apply the compound use a toothpick, it only take a small amount of compound to do the job.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

Heatsink Compound
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, »
If you unbolt the heat sink from the triacs and board, it should just lift out.

As has been said, a little dab will do. A bb sized blob is recommended for a pc processor, which has about 8 times the area you need to cover.  So 1/8th of a bb... Don't worry about spreading it - as you tighten the bolts it will get squeezed to where it needs to go.

You do not need to unsolder anything... That'll do more damage than good.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA