Author Topic: Re: Received Smart Strings poor quality  (Read 13663 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Received Smart Strings poor quality
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2011, »
I just checked my 128 nodes (only order 1 string) ... and of 127 nodes received, 11 nodes had their circuit boards poking through to open air.

I'm glad I checked, because my initial examination didn't show anything wrong.  

Unfortunately, I already released funds.

I guess I'll need to chat with Ray about my options for those 11 nodes.

Mine look every bit at bad as those shown by akonkman ... really bad.

update: IN fact I just chatted with him, and I asked if he could send the missing node and 11 replacements on my next order and he said ok.  He also said he was sorry for the problems.  I was going to order some DMX controllers and power supplies anyways.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2011, »
I just spoke with ray at the next batch came out of the factory today. He says they look much better. We will have to wait for who ever has them on order to get them to find out for ourselves.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tng5737

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, »
I rcv'd my  last order of lights from Ray today.  I am happy to report that the quality is much imporved over the original batch I rcv'd!
I ordered 4 sets each of 128's, 100, 50 node strings.   Two of the strings had a defective node.  All the string counts were correct!
The quality of the nodes themselves appear to be correct and the waterproofing is also much better.  I do not beleive that THESE nodes will need any additional treatment.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, »
I received a controller a few days ago and hooked up my 4 128 count node strings and let them run for 24 hours in a slow pattern. All of the nodes work great except for 1 that has the red led stuck on. I will have to remove that node.
The colors and fades are really nice. I can't wait to start programming them with the pixelnet software when it becomes available.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, »
My 2nd order got delivered...

IN THE NETHERLANDS!!!!

<fp. <fp. <fp. <fp. <fp. <fp. <fp. <fp. <fp. <fp. <fp. <fp. <fp. <fp. <fp. <fp.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2011, »
I rcv'd my  last order of lights from Ray today.  I am happy to report that the quality is much imporved over the original batch I rcv'd!
I ordered 4 sets each of 128's, 100, 50 node strings.   Two of the strings had a defective node.  All the string counts were correct!
The quality of the nodes themselves appear to be correct and the waterproofing is also much better.  I do not beleive that THESE nodes will need any additional treatment.

That's what I wanted to hear. I wanted someone other than Ray to tell me they looked good.

Thanks
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2011, »
I too got a shipment today (I ordered at the end of Feb, so it took awhile but I did get it).
I took a cursory look at the string of nodes (128) and while I only have pics to compare to, I haven't found anything that looks like those.  It does appear that the amount of "filler" at the end of the node is variable (from oodles to none) but I can't find any wires outside the node or chip etc.

Offline akonkman

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2011, »
I just received my replacement nodes today.  I had 38 bad nodes from my original order.  Ray sent me 51 replacement nodes.  All but one look very good (one of the replacements is the worst of any I've seen... about 1/3 of the circuit board is fully exposed... but since he sent more than enough replacements, I'm not bothered by it).

I also ordered the controller from Ray, and after struggling through the instructions, I was able to make all the nodes work except one, which apparently has a loose connection (I can wiggle it around to make it come on).  The 3 flexible strips I ordered look fantastic, I must say.  I spent over an hour just watching the mesmorizing patterns being outputted by the controller.  I'm very pleased with the light output from the nodes and the flex strips.

I can't wait to start building the real controllers!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2011, »
I decided to splice out the bad nodes from my 128 node SS tonight.

Under my magnifying light, it became apparent that I grossly UNDER counted the number of bad nodes I had.

I had to cut out 23 nodes (out of 128) from my string, and those were just circuit boards outside of the molding only.

The best continuous stretch I encountered was 17 (good) in a row.

Just tested my first 20 nodes and they all work great.

I wonder what kind of sealing could be done to these defective nodes to make them
salvageable as spares.  Maybe a clear dip or silicone dip?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tng5737

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2011, »
with that many bad nodes - I would definetely get replacements from Ray.   I have found that some of the bad nodes are really poor solder connections where the wire attaches to the crkt bd.  You can repair those but you have to tear the darn covering off - not easy.  However if they are throw aways anyway - who cares.  I intend to use them for individual pixel kinds of projects.  I made sure that I told Ray several times that I wanted him to check to make sure I got good nodes and that I didn't mind waiting for them.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2011, »
Glad I got mine from the 1st original batch. I haven't seen any boards sticking out. And no totally bad nodes but 3 (out of 900) had the color a little off, most noticible when turned white. But I ordered extra so i will be replacing those.

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2011, »
My order has left Hong Kong, I will post pictures when I get them.

Bill

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2011, »
my first order, i had bad nodes...
my second order ended up in the netherlands (I'm in the US)
my replacement 2nd order is in Pittsburgh 

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2011, »
received my order, got everything except the 12 replacement nodes...  lol

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2011, »
There was a delivery attempt today.

;D