Author Topic: question about the PixelNet Passive Hub  (Read 3050 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
question about the PixelNet Passive Hub
« on: May 17, 2011, »
Is it correct assuming that you plug your pixelnet line into this (coming from the pixelnet out of a pixelnet hub, or from the outpur of a pixelnet dongle) and that you would NOT connect this coming from one of the 16 outputs of the pixelnet hub?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: question about the PixelNet Passive Hub
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, »
Hi Chris

The 4 port passive hub only works off of one of the 16 ports on the main hub

You then need to run 12v dc power to the passive hub to power up the 4 ports

So an example would be:

Computer - Dongle - SS Hub - Passive hub - SSC

Of course the normal thing would be

Computer - Dongle -SS Hub - SSC

Hope the helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, »
ok, i was asking, b/c the passive hub is labeled pixelnet in.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, »
It says that because that is what the jack is for. Remember that even the 16 port hub is just a hub. While it has the ability to pull a DMX universe out of the pixelnet stream coming in, the 16 smart string outputs are putting out the same pixlenet string that is coming into the hub on the channel the hub is set to with no changes at all.  The reason that the passive hub specifies a pixelnet in port is because it needs to isolate it's outputs from any power coming from the hub.  The 4 passive hub outputs power leads are tied to its own power in connection and the power leads used for power connections on the input to the passive hub are not connected to anything.  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, »
So I understand that they are using a spt2 cord to supply the passive hub its own power ... (or its own power supply) ... but the 12v normally sent  via. the cat5 (as it would going to a SSC) appears it is also being sent, but maybe not being used in the passive hub, since its likely not enough for 4 outputs.    Just wondering if it still sends the power (via. cat5) and just doesn't use it?  Or can the passive hub work with it, if each of the passive outputs only needed say 1a each ?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, »
So I understand that they are using a spt2 cord to supply the passive hub its own power ... (or its own power supply) ... but the 12v normally sent  via. the cat5 (as it would going to a SSC) appears it is also being sent, but maybe not being used in the passive hub, since its likely not enough for 4 outputs.    Just wondering if it still sends the power (via. cat5) and just doesn't use it?  Or can the passive hub work with it, if each of the passive outputs only needed say 1a each ?

The output from the 16 port hub will have power. The input connector (rj-45 jack) on the 4 port hub is not wired to use the power from the 16 port hub.  If it was there would be a good chance of drawing more current than the cat5 wire can handle.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, »
This is correct the power from the hub to the passive hub is not connected to anything.

You supply the power seperate. The Passive input plugs in from the one of the hubs 16 outputs.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tpboyce

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, »
Could someone clarify the uses for this?  I am assuming that I would use this if I had four elements, say a mini trees, that I wanted to have the same behaviour on, is this correct?  Coud this be uses in place of the regular hub?  I am thinking not.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, »
Right, it would not replace a regular 16-port SS hub.  But it would provide some great options to buying a whole new 16-port SS hub, in certain situations.

You would connect this into a standard 16-port SS Hub to provide 4-port expansion into another location.  My thinking is that its going to be a way to either: (a) provide additional ports, say if you need 18 pixelnet outs and you only have 16 total ... or (b) provide the ability to stretch the distances (from the main hub) out and get around some of the limits of the cat5 delivered power, including (perhaps) stetching your power out better, while also possibly distributing power and reducing cat5 cable costs.

Option (a) saves you money on not having to buy extra 16-port hubs, but probably isn't the primary use, but could save you money if your just pushing 16 ports a bit, or can't handle the power for some new items.

Option (b) seems be pretty interesting, because you could either go (b-1) run a spt2 power cord of your own from the 16-port SS hub to the passive hub (assuming you have the power in the atx power supply) ... allowing greater distances from the hub to be used for these 4 ports ... or (b-2) supply a totally independent 12v power supply to the passive hub, allowing you to run a single cat5 to the passive hub and then just supplying the power locally.  The (b-2) option also might be something you use to expand your power behind what your 16-port SS Hub can handle.  Maybe you need 50a, but only bought a 45a power supply for the main hub.  You might find that using a passive hub for the last 1-4 ports and having its own power supply, allows you to off-load some of the power from the main hub ... plus place those items further (if need be) ... and with less cat5 cords (1 vs. 4) to the passive hub.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline mnarel

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, »
Lets say you have some "micro mega trees"  in your display (18 inch tall with 8 legs of 10 RGB nodes each)  or whatever other decorative element you want.  The key here is that you have some number over 16 of them.

In this case, each micro tree has 80 nodes, or 240 channels.  Lets say you have 17 of these that you want to run in your display  (240*17<4096).   Normally you'd need 2 Hubs to do this.  With the passive hub you can run pixel net to the main hub, output to 15 SSRs and to the passive hub, then output from the passive hub to 2 more SSRs.  You now have 17 elements and only had to spend another $8 for a passive hub rather than $65 for another main hub plus more for another ATX.  You can also run it all off the single power supply (assuming you have the amperage), you just need to shunt an spt2 line alongside the cat5 running from the ATX/main hub enclosure to the passive hub.

Each bullb on every micro tree (or whatever) can still be programmed individually.  Remember, the bulb channel numbers are set in the SSRs, not the hubs.   

You would use the passive hub anywhere you wanted more than 16 individual items in your display that were separated by an inconvenient distance to run as single RGB node string to multiple elements.   This keeps you from having to splice in extra cable between micro tree 1 and 2 for instance in order to have the bulbs on both trees attached to a single line.  The down side of this, is that in addition to the passive hub, and power line, you need an additional SSR to power the new string which cuts back on your savings.

I'm not sure, but I believe that the ethernet dongle (when available) and the Lynx combiner will allow the full 16000+ channels to be sent to a single main hub.  If that's true, you could use a midrange ATX ($40) to power the hub, push 9 passive hubs out of it along with 6 128 node strings, each passive hub would be  powered by a 20 amp DC power supply (sold by Ray Wu for about $13 ea) running a grand total of  42 SSRs - each with 128 node strings attached (mzx allowed in a single pixel net universe).  The distribution system for this setup would cost about $300 (1 hub, 9 passive hubs, 9 20amp DC power supplies, 1 midrange ATX)  To do the same without the passive hubs would require at least 3 hubs and 3 very high end power supplies (70 amp)  and would cost upwards $600.   The passive method would also distribute the power requirements over more and less expensive devices.   Hardware redundancy would therefore be significantly less expensive  (spare power supplies/hubs/passive hubs) than the old method.

Someone jump on me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, »
The combiner is NOT required or used when using the ethernet dongle.  The ethernet dongle sends out four pixelnet universes already on a single cable with each one on a separate pair.  What the combiner does is allows up to 4 standard dongles to do the same thing.  This way, even if the ethernet dongle does not get released in time for Christmas, up to the same 4 pixelnet universes can be sent out on a single cable just like the ethernet dongle will do. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, »
One active Hub, One active pixelnet universe(4096 ch).

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, »
In this case, each micro tree has 80 nodes, or 240 channels.  Lets say you have 17 of these that you want to run in your display  (240*17<4096).   Normally you'd need 2 Hubs to do this.  With the passive hub you can run pixel net to the main hub, output to 15 SSRs and to the passive hub, then output from the passive hub to 2 more SSRs.  You now have 17 elements and only had to spend another $8 for a passive hub rather than $65 for another main hub plus more for another ATX.  You can also run it all off the single power supply (assuming you have the amperage), you just need to shunt an spt2 line alongside the cat5 running from the ATX/main hub enclosure to the passive hub.

Each bullb on every micro tree (or whatever) can still be programmed individually.  Remember, the bulb channel numbers are set in the SSRs, not the hubs.   

You would use the passive hub anywhere you wanted more than 16 individual items in your display that were separated by an inconvenient distance to run as single RGB node string to multiple elements.   This keeps you from having to splice in extra cable between micro tree 1 and 2 for instance in order to have the bulbs on both trees attached to a single line.  The down side of this, is that in addition to the passive hub, and power line, you need an additional SSR to power the new string which cuts back on your savings.

I'd only add this.  To avoid confusing somebody make sure we're referring to the controllers by their correct acronym.  Smart Strings use SSCs - (Smart String Controllers) NOT SSRs - (Solid State Relays).  SSRs are not compatible with any of the smart string hubs, etc.

Call me picky but it can mess people up if we mix up our TLAs (Three Letter Abbreviations).

Thanks

Alan T

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, »
another example could be... 

you run a hub to power your elements, but you need 4 more smart strings, over.......                         there....

you can run your line out as if it were one thing on your main hub,  then you break it out to 4 smart strings, to power what ever it was that you wanted to do.

you run one cat5 cable out to there, and then either ran out you power, or provided a power supply (regular old regulated 12v power supply) near the element.

you didn't have to run 4 cat 5 cables out here, or create another full pixelnet hub just for 4 smart strings

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, »
** FLEXIBILITY **