Author Topic: Passive Hub Power Quandry  (Read 2136 times)

Offline MrChristmas2000

Passive Hub Power Quandry
« on: August 20, 2012, »
I have 2 passive hubs. As far as the power circuitry I am assuming they are the same as the Active Hub.

I thought at first I had a bad power supply but when I hooked it to a PS tester it showed to be operating normally.

The PS also has it's own On/Off switch as well.

I then started plugging it back into my passive hub and the power supply powered up and the led lit up.

I turned the power supply off at it's switch then back on and the PS would not start.

I unplugged the Main power connector to the Passive Hub then plugged it back in and the supply came back on.

Usually if you short out the on pins to the PS it will turn on and you can either turn it's switch on/off if it has one or plug/unplug the supply and it will restart. This one dosen't.

Any ideas? Do I have a bad supply or is the a problem on the Passive Hub?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Passive Hub Power Quandry
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, »
They are the same and it does just jumper the power good plus puts a small load on the supply.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, »
That's what I thought but it is strange that it only sees that when I plug and unplug the main PS connector from the hub and not from just plugging it in and turning the PS on/off.

I didn't explore it much today because of another project I was in the middle of but I'll look it over closer tomorrow.

Thanks

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, »
Ran some test this morning.

The problem is with the way the power supply senses the power on signal. I had another break out module from another DIY group and it has the same problem of if I turn the power off at the PS switch that it would not come back on until if flipped the switch on the power breakout module.

The Power supply is an OCZ. It will work I just can't turn it off once it is started up.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, »
When you turned off the supply using the switch, you told the power supply to stop supplying power on its outputs. Once you turned the switch back on. It waits for a power on signal. The fact that the power on pins are shorted on will show up to the power supply as "no change" so it won't turn on.

I wouldn't worry too much about this as I can see this as an option for turning your show on and off by running around the yard flipping switches on power supplies.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, »
As we all know the power company never has any power interruptions.  ;D

My concern is that I am either out for the evening, a power glitch occurs and with my show computer on a UPS it will continue the show but if the power supply comes back on and dosen't sense that it needs to come back on I might have half a mega tree running.  <fp.

Not sure how to solve this problem yet. It's a high end modular connetion supply and cuts down on the wires in the hub box.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, »
If you run a sequence, and unplug the power supply from the wall, and plug in back in, does it still continue?  Flipping the power supply switch doesn't do the same as unplugging from the wall.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, »
I am able to unplug or flip the switch on my power supplies and hub will continue to operate after?

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, »
It's just this one supply that I had ordered for the new hubs.

Haven't seen a supply do this before. It could be some designer that was going for some safety feature or something.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's just this one supply that I had ordered for the new hubs.

Haven't seen a supply do this before. It could be some designer that was going for some safety feature or something.

Seems like you answered your own question.

You used a power supply different from the others and it works differently.

I would suggest returning them and getting the ones or another power supply that works the way you want.

It is hard to troubleshoot unknowns like this, we are DIY people.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, »
Unfortuantely most computer suppliers do not take power supplies back.

I will figure a way to make this one work, it's just going to be an interesting challenge.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, »
Of the four different ones I have used I never had one do this. Not sure if it is a bad one or design thing.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, »
I have a power supply in my show computer that acts like that. If the power goes out in the house, I have to cycle the power switch and the plug in a specific order to boot. I'll take a look at the brand tonight,  but I paid extra for a "good" power supply.

update:

The PS is a TTGI 520SS (quad fan unit, made with overclockers in mind).
I don't know why it acts odd - could be something between it and the motherboard setup.
I think sometimes it will only turn on the 12VDC output but not the 5VDC until I cycle the power "just right"

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, by JonB256 »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you run a sequence, and unplug the power supply from the wall, and plug in back in, does it still continue?  Flipping the power supply switch doesn't do the same as unplugging from the wall.

Now that depends on which switch you are talking about.  If you are talking about the switch on the back of the supply, it had better do the same thing as unplugging the supply or you have a real problem.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, »
Ok one more piece of information.

If I hook up the power supply to the hub and plug it in it will come on.

But if I immediately unplug it and replug it in the power dosne't come back.

HOWEVER,

If I let the supply set for a while and plug it back in the power comes on again.

I am of the belief now that it has something to do with the design of the power switch sensing circuit in the power supply.  <md..

Guess I can live with it.