Author Topic: LED TV or plasma?  (Read 3192 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
LED TV or plasma?
« on: December 29, 2013, »
me and the wife are buying ourselves a new tv for our anniversary but I can't make up my mind on which to get. I have had a plasma in the past and I now have a 240hz led currently. the led is definitely brighter but I also liked the picture on my previous plasma. I also plan on using this tv as a computer monitor at times. what's your thoughts?

thanks

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tbone321

Re: LED TV or plasma?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, »
For what you intend to use it for, I would recommend the LED.  Plasma TV's are still subject to burn-in which can be an issue when using it as a monitor.  LED is immune to that and you can leave an image in place all day with no fear.  The LED TV's have come a long way in image quality.  The only real edge that the plasma TV's still have is in their price.  Getting an LED of the same size with the same image quality is normally twice the price, especially when they start getting large.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline drlucas

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, »
At what times, and what distance from the monitor? Plasma is not great in light conditions (best used in evenings/night time in a darker room). Also a 50" TV up close won't work well for a computer screen. I'd +1 on the LED option, but be mindful of how far you are from the TV when working on the computer.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, »
the price is key. I am looking at a 60'' plasma at hhgregg for 950 plus 5% more off for using our hhgregg card. for the same size led with 240hz(won't buy anything less), it's almost double the price. image burn isn't really an issue for me because I am really good about turning things off when I am done.

I would be about 11' from the monitor. the tv would be going in the lower level family room which doesn't get direct sunlight at any time of day. front bushes block the windows.
Florence, KY

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, »
There is a great site called thewirecutter.com, they have some good information on the best of the best  and often plasma is on the top still.  Better blacks, etc.

From an energy standpoint, I think LED is still using way less and that may sway you some over the life of the tv also.

Alan

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, »
Then it sounds like you pretty much made your decision already.  The other downside to plasma is the weight.  My 50" plasma weighs in at close to 70 lbs and I would imagine that they haven't gotten any lighter.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Then it sounds like you pretty much made your decision already.  The other downside to plasma is the weight.  My 50" plasma weighs in at close to 70 lbs and I would imagine that they haven't gotten any lighter.

not quite yet but I am definitely leaning to the plasma. I have read some info on cnet and consumer reports and the plasma still wins in most categories. with that said, I really like my led.
Florence, KY

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, »
Can't say for either but the only complaint I always hear from my relative is that their plasma gives off a lot of heat.  Other than that they like everything else about it.

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, »
Plasma is far superior to LED, even with the advancements LED has made. I have a 55" plasma and it is absolutely fantastic. Burn in problems were more of an issue with older gens. They aren't as susceptible anymore although they aren't immune either. You want high quality for a home theater, plasma has my vote. Not sure about how a pc resolves on these tv's but I imagine either will work very well.

Of course these are my personal opinions after much research and personal experience. You really can go wrong these days with a 1080p device in either format. Audiophiles are the ones that will argue the most over that.  Cnet has some great reviews of current tv's and can be a great resource for information.

Offline rm357

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, »
If the computer is an occasional thing, plasma might be ok, but if you are going to be doing serious work or prolonged gaming on the PC, I would recommend the led tv.

Plasma screens have bee getting better, but once it is burned in, there is very little you can do short or replacing the tv.

Sent from my iPad using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, »
Panasonic plasma for me
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, »
I have a Panasonic plasma that I love.

When we moved to the new house that plasma moved upstairs and we got a Sharp Aquos 3D LCD... I am more than pleased with this TV -- though I rarely use the 3D capability...  at the time the 3D TV was cheaper than a TV without.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tjbrickner

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, »
I have a 50" Samsung Plasma in my MAN cave.  The basement is cool, a big plus for the TV.  The mounting bracket weighs more than the TV and the TV like Tbone's is 70+ lbs.  No windows either so light is not a problem.  I love the picture and wouldn't change.  TV upstairs is an LED.  Super light both in weight and from the windows.  Still a great picture in the middle of the day.
Afraid of heights and I'm still always on the roof...

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, »
LOL, they have the same weight because they are probably the same TV.  Mine is also a Samsung 50" Plasma and as much as I love the picture, the next on will be a LED.  When I bought mine, the Plasma's were brighter than all but the most expensive LED models and I'm not sure if the LED models were at 50" yet and if so, were verrrrrry expensive.  They also didn't do as well with high speed motion.  The new LED TVs are impressive and the room that it is in does have to deal with afternoon light.  I am looking into a 65" 3D and I would need 3 guys to bring in a plasma TV that size.   ;D  I have to say that even in the bright afternoon light, that plasma is still very watchable and I look foward to relocating it to my man cave when I finally do get the new one.

Offline galgon

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, »

Plasma screens have bee getting better, but once it is burned in, there is very little you can do short or replacing the tv.

I have a 50 inch plasma that is about 7 years old.  About a year in I got addicted to a PlayStation game that has a radar circle in one of the corners of the screen.  After countless hours of game play (over a month or more), I noticed the radar circle was still slightly there when watching regular tv.  I downloaded a dvd that is supposed to remove burn in by cycling the panel through a 10 minute loop of full screen colors (full white screen, full blue screen, etc).  In less than an hour of that the burn in was gone. 

So it is possible to fix burn in, you just have to catch it early.
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA