Author Topic: soldering stations  (Read 6456 times)

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
soldering stations
« on: January 15, 2010, »
just googled WOW a little overwhelming to this newbie Sooooo many choices

don't mind spending a little money but would like to keep first born  :D              

( 50.00 - 75.00 range unless suggested otherwise )

oops for got to ask ?      any idea's on stations
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, by lineman »
Jeff

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Re: soldering stations
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, »
Here's what I recommend

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

or this

The WES is more geared to a lot of soldering, it's also available in digital temp control.

Offline austindave

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, »
I have the WES51 - works great. It heats up REALLY quickly (less than 1 minute). I got mine a Fry's (they had it in stock) - just a few $ more than the Amazon price (like $98 at Fry's). Fry's also has different / replacement tips for it.

--Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, »
I have the Weller WLC100 and have built 8 LEs and numerous other things with it.  Works great and the price is right.  There are other threads on this board and I have seen some other iron that are in the $70 range that I would consider as well.  You need to search on the forum first and not on Google

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, »
I also have the Weller WLC100, its been working well for me. My biggest problem was seeing. So I got a magnifying glass to help. :D

This is in the manuals

Solder Stations:

* You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login WLC100

It works fine and is very inexpensive. I even saw this model on sale at Sears. Radio Shack has a very nice looking Digital Soldering Station (Model #64-053) for sale but you can't order the tips directly from Radio Shack. You need to order them directly from the manufacturer at Madell Tech's website. A forum member uses this iron at his business and on the road and it's been rock solid.

Another recommended Solder Station is the MPJA 302A is has a digital temperature readout

* You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Model 302A

What ever you get make sure and get 4 - 5 extra tips for it. It is an opinion thing but I prefer and find most prefer Chisel tips. get a couple .8 and a few 1.6 to see which you like and then you are ready to go. The tips do wear out and need replacement from time to time. I can build maybe 4 to 8 big controllers (FS, Etc) with a single tip but when you are learning you will use them up faster.

You need solder so buy some. I recommend .032 size (0.8mm or 0.7mm) as the larger sizes tend to cause you to put too much solder on. How much? Go ahead and get a 1 lb spool as it’s cheaper in large volume and you will go through it faster than you think. Make sure you are getting rosin core for electronics they make some solder for plumbing that has acid as the core this is a bad mistake to make.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, »
I'm using the 302A on this page now :

Works well, heats up very fast. Just what ever you get make sure and get extra tips for it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline sims101

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, »
I have a station I bought from radio shack and I have problems find tips to replace it and what is the best tip to use it has a chisel tip heres the link to what I got You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline OkieJay

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, »
I have a station I bought from radio shack and I have problems find tips to replace it and what is the best tip to use it has a chisel tip heres the link to what I got You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Great solder station and tips are available from radio shack, you just have to know the secret handshake.  ;)

They cannot be purchased online, you must go into your local Radio Shack and order them.  I will get the details together and post them for you tomorrow.

Offline OkieJay

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, »
Sorry it has taken so long to get the info, here it is:

You can get your RS manager to order them through RSU (the secret word), Radio Shack's custom parts ordering service.   RSU tells them the tips are in the PARTS catalog.

They have about six of the most common tips available.  Here are part numbers for a few popular sizes.
Part# 12463923 is a .8 chisel tip
Part# 12463931 is a 1.2 chisel tip
Part# 12463972 is a .8 conical tip (I think is what comes with the unit).

Hope this helps,
Jay

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, »
Thanks guys i went with the 302a and order 1 extra tip for evey tip available inot sure what tip a newbie should use so i am going with suggestion chisle tip and go from there.

Like i have said YALL ARE GREAT    ;D  ;D  ;D                   

JEFF                           
Jeff

Offline pip0582

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, »
I just wanted to let anyone know who ordered the radioshack digital soldering station.  That you can get the tips from Madell here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
At my local radioshack they did order the tips for me from RSU, but then they lost them somehow and had to reorder them, and then they were back ordered, plus they were 9.00 a piece there and only 6.00 from Madell.

Phil

Offline OkieJay

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, »
I just wanted to let anyone know who ordered the radioshack digital soldering station.  That you can get the tips from Madell here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
At my local radioshack they did order the tips for me from RSU, but then they lost them somehow and had to reorder them, and then they were back ordered, plus they were 9.00 a piece there and only 6.00 from Madell.

Phil

Sorry to hear about your RS troubles.  I ordered 3 tips from RS about 3 months ago and had them shipped to my house.  With shipping I probably paid about $11 per tip, but I got them in about a week.  I guess with Radio Shack it is kind of hit or miss these days.  Shame, they used to have great service.
Jay

Offline bittig

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, »
I also use the RS soldering station.  You can get the tips from Madell.  I read that the machine is actually made by Madell, but do not know if that is true.  I ordered a few tips from them when I first got the station. The tips work great.  They have most of the tips you would need for soldering your boards.  RS doesn't carry the variety that Madell has in stock.  If you go the RS route, get your tips from these guys as it will save you the frustration of dealing with RS on different tips.

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, »

I bought the RS soldering station awhile back, absolutely love it!

Finding the tips can be a pain but with all this new info from here, should be no problem.
May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, »

Update on tips for the RS soldering station...Went to my local Radio Shack and now they have some of the tips on hand. I did have to order .032 tip chisel, arrived on my doorstep 3 days later.

I don't remember who...But Thank You for suggesting the chisel tip, Great tip! I will never use anything but a chisel now..

After talking with the salesman "Tap" (Yes, I had fun with that!) he told me that the Digital station sold very well and the corporation took notice. Expect more to come.
May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.