Author Topic: Pixel issues...unable to troubleshoot.  (Read 3447 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Pixel issues...unable to troubleshoot.
« on: September 21, 2012, »
This is driving me nuts.  I purchased 6 strings a month ago or so.  2 each of 75, 100, & 128 count.  The 75 count seemed to work pretty well.  The 100 count strings; however, are driving me nuts.  They are all over the place color wise.  I am running xlights tester with R-G-B-all through an etherdongle and an active hub.  The controllers are V2.  I have switched controllers and strings around and used different outputs from the hub and the string always behaves the same.  I have posted two videos linked below that show what I am seeing.  It looks like the first node of both of these strings is acting up since it is different from the rest of the string.  The rest of the string has nodes all the same.  I removed the first node so the second node is now the first node.  Now it is acting up just like the first node did.  I now remove the new first node so the node originally third in line is now the first one.  Now this node acts just like the other two.

What the  <md.. is going on here?  I have two string that are doing this.  One of the other 128 count strings sometimes has different colors along the length and it happens at different locations along the string.  I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting this string as the problem moves and affects different parts of the string at different times.

HELP!!

Before removing a node (as received):  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

After removing the first node:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline keitha43

Re: Pixel issues...unable to troubleshoot.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, »
Shorten the distance from the ssc to the first node to about 18 inches and test again. It sounds like you are experiencing "ringing". RJ is testing firmware to combat the issue.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, »
Looking at your video that is definitely what you are experiencing. You might try searching ringing to see the original thread. The first recommendation was to replace a resistor but now we are advised to wait until RJ finishes his testing.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, »
"Ssc v2 has an output problem" is the name of the original thread.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, »
The smart strings use 3 wires - +12V, common and then a single wire with Data and Timing. I'm wondering if maybe one of the nodes farther up the string is introducing noise into the power line.

That said, I'm not sure how you would fix it. I think I'd try "splitting" the 3-wire lead-in so that Data doesn't run next to either power line.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, »
RJ is supposed to be working on some new PIC code to address the problem but that was promised several weeks ago.

Offline rm357

Pixel issues...unable to troubleshoot.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, »
If you need the fix now, change the 47 ohm resistor (one closest to where the data wires connect) to something in the 100 to 200 ohm range. I'd look for 150 ohms, but anything in that range should improve your situation.

I would recommend against separating the wires as suggested by another. I don't see what benefit that is going to provide and the effort required to maintain the separation will be difficult to manage.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, »
Thanks for the replies.  I don't have to have it now, just need it by end of November.  I should have done some searching and I like to read all the threads for equipment I have, I just get behind and don't have time to read them all it seems.  I'll check out the ringing thread...and subscribe to it... and wait for a solution.  At least I don't feel like I am totally nuts and/or incompetent.

Thanks again,
-Keith

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you need the fix now, change the 47 ohm resistor (one closest to where the data wires connect) to something in the 100 to 200 ohm range. I'd look for 150 ohms, but anything in that range should improve your situation.

I would recommend against separating the wires as suggested by another. I don't see what benefit that is going to provide and the effort required to maintain the separation will be difficult to manage.

All that does is keep signals being generated on the power lines from interfering with the signal on the data line.  In this current situation, it may have a positive effect but as also said, it would be very difficult to maintain.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, »
I tried 150 ohm and it did not fix it.  Is the only solution (or best solution) to shorten the wire between the controller and the first node?

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, »
Until RJ releases more info then yes its the recommended thing to do

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, »
Just to close out this issue, the only thing I could get to work was to shorten the distance between the controller and the first node.  Now I see that there is a V3 out, but I have not tried it yet.  Strangely enough, I thought that info was a sticky and saw it last night, but now I do not see that info.  Don't know what happened to it, but anyway, wanted to put closure to this...even though it had already been closed for others...just did not remember seeing it.

Thanks for the help,
-Keith

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, »
Hey, you're right!  The sticky thread with all the SSC V3 modding info is gone.  Was that intentional?  Is the V3 mod still valid?

-Mike

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, »
it's in the equipment page of the wiki, which is the go to place for equipment information.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, »
it's in the equipment page of the wiki, which is the go to place for equipment information.

Where?  All I see in the Wiki for the SSC V3 is the updated firmware and the new SSC Utility exe. unless I'm missing something, I don't see any info about the mod.

-Mike