Author Topic: Aether 2 goes disco issue  (Read 3007 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Aether 2 goes disco issue
« on: January 19, 2012, »
Here is a clip showing my Arther 2 go into disco mode by itself.  It is the one on the far right covering my garage.  You can see it freak out when the white comes on.  Ironically, it is not consistent...even with white...as other times it works as expected.  Also, a couple of times I would look out after the show was off and it would be doing the same thing by itself.  The computer would be on, but the show would not be playing and the aether would be going crazy.  I would kill power to it and turn it back on and it seemed to be OK after that, I just hated to leave it on all the time fearing that it would do it again.

My setup is Pixelnet dongle--->right tree pixelnet hub--->DMX out to Aether 2.  The is all hardwired.

I can't remember what position I had the terminate switch in at this point.  I think it was set to terminate.  BTW, what does that do?  It looks like the two cat5 connections are connected on the board by a trace so does it matter what position it is in?  It looks like if it is terminated that the signal will still go from one cable to the other.  Is there a reason to ever have it NOT terminated?  I may have a complete misunderstanding of what termination does and that may be my problem...I just cannot make sense of it.

Thanks for any insight or thought on why my aether is living in the 70's,
-Keith

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
Re: Aether 2 goes disco issue
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I can't remember what position I had the terminate switch in at this point.  I think it was set to terminate.  BTW, what does that do?  It looks like the two cat5 connections are connected on the board by a trace so does it matter what position it is in?  It looks like if it is terminated that the signal will still go from one cable to the other.  Is there a reason to ever have it NOT terminated?  I may have a complete misunderstanding of what termination does and that may be my problem...I just cannot make sense of it.
-Keith

The terminate jumper places a 120Ω resistor between the two data lines. This helps to minimize signal reflections on the data line. There should be one terminator on each end of the data line. So, one would be in the dongle and the other would be on the last device on the line.

For more information on termination see the following links:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (page 16)

As far as your Aether goes, I am wondering if it is possible that there is a loose connection somewhere. It almost looked like a flicker from an intermittent connection. It was hard to tell in the video if the colors were consistent or in any kind of pattern. It is also possible that there is a weak connection that is causing the data to become corrupted.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, »
Terminate switch should be thrown to the right (term is on) unless you are feeding dmx out from the aether to another device, then the switch would be to the left (term is off). 

I would try swapping the cable.

OR...  maybe RJ has a hidden disco mode you have accidentally stumbled on  ;D
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, »
I think I tried the switch in both positions and had issues both ways.  I had my wireless transmitter plugged into the other cat5 from the Aether 2 since my others Aethers wire wireless only so I had both "ports" used on the Aether 2.  So it sounds like having it not terminated may have been the correct mode of operation then.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, »
If it is a terminate problem, would the lights go out completely at the right time?  I'd expect if the colors started flashing and using the wrong levels, it would extend into the dark/off periods of the sequence. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, »
Yes, it was just completely bizarre behavior.  It did it (at least) twice but did shut off at the right time so just wondering if anyone saw this behavior or if anyone know what to do to prevent it.  Although as I mentioned, it did occur a couple of others times when the show was not even running.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline meman

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, »
Are they all running off the same transformer...it looks like a power flicker of some sort.

I have run them (and my LEs) all wide open with no terminate switch set and never had any problems. My one experience with the terminate switch is that it does absolutely nothing except prevent the DMX signal from traveling downstream of it. For example, I had all 4 of my Aethers programmed, switches set and cases sealed when I took them out to the yard and made a last minute change to start my cat5 daisy chain at the opposite end of what I had originally planned. The first Aether now had the terminate switch set and responded just fine, but none of the others lit up until I opened the case and toggled the terminate switch off.

Offline thestig

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, »
I believe he mentioned he was using a different power supply for this aether. I am hoping the tranny is not to blame because i have 6 of them sitting on my workbench.

Grant

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, »
Are they all running off the same transformer...it looks like a power flicker of some sort.

I have run them (and my LEs) all wide open with no terminate switch set and never had any problems. My one experience with the terminate switch is that it does absolutely nothing except prevent the DMX signal from traveling downstream of it. For example, I had all 4 of my Aethers programmed, switches set and cases sealed when I took them out to the yard and made a last minute change to start my cat5 daisy chain at the opposite end of what I had originally planned. The first Aether now had the terminate switch set and responded just fine, but none of the others lit up until I opened the case and toggled the terminate switch off.

I only have one Aether 2 and it had it's own transformer.  I was wondering if it might be the problem.  It is supposedly rated for 60W but I don't know how to find out if it is the problem or not.

Thanks for the feedback,
-Keith

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, »
Did you keep the tranny off the ground mounted vertically?  Maybe it's just wet.  Trying bringing it in to dry out for a while?

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, »
Did you keep the tranny off the ground mounted vertically?  Maybe it's just wet.  Trying bringing it in to dry out for a while?

I actually had it in the garage so it was dry and relatively warm. 

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, »
OK, it's toast.  Send to me for proper disposal  ::)

It's looking like the tranny...  That's one of those $4 deal right?  I would beg borrow or steal  ;D another tranny and give er a go.  Whatever you do, if the tranny is the culprit post your results because I think many members plan to use them. 

Offline thestig

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, »
any news on the disco aether? or have you shelved it for now?

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, »
It is in the garage, but not put away.  I may see about hooking it up and see if it acts up again.  May start with just DMX straight out of the dongle.  Of course that eliminates the pixelnet portion, but at least it is something to start with.  I do have another of the same transformers that I could try as well, but it just so random.  Actually, I may start with just plugging it in with no data at all and see what happens.  That would eliminate everything but the Aether itself & the power supply.  If I come up with anything new, I'll post back.

Thanks,
-Keith