Author Topic: How to Build a Makeshift FM Antenna?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
How to Build a Makeshift FM Antenna?
« on: January 30, 2012, »
Although I know how to solder and do basic electrical troubleshooting, I’m far from an expert at electronics, and was hoping that someone here can explain--in layman's terms--the basics of how to build a makeshift MacGyver FM antenna (for pickup of FM--not transmitting it).

We have an FM tuner at work that’s used for playing music over our overhead speakers. Due to some recent changes, we can’t get our local radio station via Cable, so somebody attached a piece of wire to the back of the Tuner’s FM antenna connector. The other end of the wire had the conductors twsited onto each other to “close” the circuit (I don’t know if “close” is the correct terminology). Look at the attached photos.

The setup works okay, but it sometimes gets static. The back of the Tuner has a loop antenna, but if I’m not mistaken, those are for AM only. There are connections labelled AM, GND, and FM 300 Ohm. What does the “300 ohm” indicate? Does that imply that all FM antennas should have 300 ohms of resistance? Would that imply that I could untwist the copper at the free end of the wire, put a 300-ohm resistor in series to “close” the FM antenna circuit where you would connect to the back of the tuner. What I don’t get though, don’t things like car whip antennas have only one conductor, so a resistor wouldn’t work in that respect?

Sure, we could buy an antenna  ::)  ... but I’d like to know how antennas work.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: How to Build a Makeshift FM Antenna?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, »
300ohm is usually that brown twin wire cable used for antennas.  is was used before coax (75ohm) cabling.     

best practice, is convert to a 75 ohm then connect the center conductor to a telescopic antenna element, then connect the shield conductor to ground.

then for best reception, you can use an antenna caculator for 1/4 1/2 or even full wave to see how long your element should be entended. (1/4 will be smaller usually in the range of the telescopic element.

you could also look in the wiki for how to build a 1/4 ground plane antenna, then just connect it to your receiver. but telescopic elements work best for when you change the station.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: How to Build a Makeshift FM Antenna?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, »
While MacGyver is to be admired always, for <$8 the Rat Shack has a nice dipole:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

\dmc