Author Topic: Pickit  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Harley

Pickit
« on: April 20, 2013, »
Is there a site or page that shows the ins and out of the pickit 3, as far as use and what it can do and all that, waiing on mine to get here, just wantiing to do some reading
Harley in Louisiana

Yep im a n00b, i can break it and blow it up with the best of em

Offline arw01

Re: Pickit
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, »
Harley, where did you buy your pickit 3 from?  Just a little behind the curve on you, but I may mail off my pics for a while to be programmed.  Trying not to go too broke with this new hobby!

Offline oj70chevy

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, »
TTT as i am new a and also ordered one. a how to would be a good thing. I know there are users all around that can program the chip for us but would like to be able to do it my self in case that user in or around when i really need some changes to be done.
Thanks
Ralph

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, »
Try this page in the WIKI   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I use the Pickit3 Stand Alone Programmer Appver 1.0 available here 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And with most of the newer boards you can program the chip on the board itself instead of using the interface boards with jumpers. Use the software link above instead of the MPLAB software but the procedure is the same.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, by keitha43 »

Offline oj70chevy

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, »
Thanks for the link not sure how i missed it but thats what i needed.  <res.
Thanks
Ralph

Offline Harley

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, »
i bought mine from j1sys on ebay You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

thats the one i bought

Harley in Louisiana

Offline davron12

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, »
One of the most confusing things I found with the Pickit 3 was the software. I feel like Microchip does a horrible job posting the stand alone programmer for the Pickit 3. Microchip doesn't even list it, but they do for the Pickit 2. Added to confusion, there's two different versions of the stand alone programmer, one that supports the newer pics and one that doesn't. Forgive me if I mispeak, because this is all off the top of my head, but I believe it's the older version that supports the newer chips, but you have to install the new device file in order to do so.

Use the second link posted by Keith (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) to download the stand alone programmer and updated device file. Perhaps someone else can clarify if it's the v1 or v3 beta he should download. I can't recall and I'm not at home to check. Forget MPLAB for programming your SSC and etherdongle. If you're going write your own embedded software, that's another story and you'll need MPLAB then. For some reason, the .hex files only work with the stand alone programmer and not the programming feature in MPLAB.

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, »
if you buy a pickit from
here

if you can find someone with an email adress that ends in .edu then you will get a student discount which makes it more reasonable

Offline keitha43

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, »
I use the original v1. Not the v3 beta.

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, »
I've used the pickit 3 on all my hardware no issues

Offline Harley

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, »
if you buy a pickit from
here

if you can find someone with an email adress that ends in .edu then you will get a student discount which makes it more reasonable

I ordered mine from Ebay because it has all the ZIF boards for later projects
Harley in Louisiana