Author Topic: Adapting GE G35 rgb leds for use with the smart string  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Mimir

I bought 3 of these preprogramed led sets at lowes last night on sale and was wondering if I could replace the preprogramed controller with the SS to be able to sequence them in my show.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
No, they are a different technology.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rm357

The GE35 are different in both voltage and protocol.

I thought about trying to write new firmware for the SSC to drive these, but then the GE35 needs 5 volts rather than the 12 used by the SS. Tapping off of the 7805 in the SSC would not work due to heat and capacity limitations which means the addition of something external to the SSC. All to say this is getting too messy for my liking so instead I'm looking at the E681 controller from SANDEVICES, LLC.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Mimir

I have been reading where several people have controlled these lights using arduino processors.  I am looking into doing this.  I couldn't pass up the deal at $20 each for a set of 36 RGB leds. I now have 6 strings of them.

The trick I think is being able to send the sequence info from Vixen to the arduino controller.

Offline rm357

Adapting GE G35 rgb leds for use with the smart string
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, »
If you wanted to use pixel net, the spec is on the wiki. It's just a simple high speed serial data stream with one data value reserved as the sync.

DMX is more trouble because of the break/mark after break sync signal.

The E681 is E1.31 multi-cast Ethernet, like the ether dongle.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Mimir

I just read the pixelnet spec. I will see if I can get the programming for arduino to read it.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Mimir

I have control of the lights adapting code I found on the web. Working now on the dmx interface.

Offline therealbigjim

wow
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login