Author Topic: Finished First Build  (Read 1900 times)

Offline pip0582

Finished First Build
« on: December 21, 2009, »
I just wanted to share my excitement.  I finished my first build tonight. Was the Lynx Dongle.  Still haven't got a chance to test it, as I'm waiting on my programmer to arrive still.  But I did take my time and triple check my work so as long as programming goes fine I'm guessing everything will work okay.   Looking forward to the first of the year so i can get a couple LE's from the coop.  Thanks RJ, for making this hobby accessible to everyone.

Phil

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Finished First Build
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just wanted to share my excitement.  I finished my first build tonight. Was the Lynx Dongle.  Still haven't got a chance to test it, as I'm waiting on my programmer to arrive still.  But I did take my time and triple check my work so as long as programming goes fine I'm guessing everything will work okay.   Looking forward to the first of the year so i can get a couple LE's from the coop.  Thanks RJ, for making this hobby accessible to everyone.

Phil

Congrats Phil

It only gets better from here on :D

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, »
Great Job

Bill

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, »
Glad to hear it. Can't wait to see blinky from you.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, »
Congrats Phil! 

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline cmorda

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, »
Good job building the dongle first. I built it last and I think that kind of made me loose sight of the dream for a little bit (until I got it built (on Nov. 26!))

Chris
Ventura, CA

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Good to get started.  While you wait for the coop, if you haven't already, you may want to gather the ac cords, cases, etc.  As well as play with Vixen, if that's what you'll be using.  That way you'll be ready when the coop parts arrive.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline pip0582

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, »
         A quick follow up. I got my programmer today and was able to program my chip, I installed the driver, plugged it in and everything installed as expected so i'm assuming its working fine.

Yeah Keith, thats kinda what I've been doing, been messing with vixen a lot.  still trying to decide how many channels are gonna be doable for my first show.  I don't wanna plan too big and be out of my budget, but more than that out of time. I work a 50+ hour a week job  with days off split as im sure is the case with many people here.  Also waiting for Sat. after Christmas to get some lights.  Naturally I have a few, but not near as many as im gonna need so looking forward to the sales so I can get as many as possible. 

Does anyone have suggestions of where to get the ac cords, or do most of the people here by the big spools of cable and the ends? I've found the 1000ft spools a few places just thought someone here might know who usually has the best deal.

Thanks Everyone
Phil 

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Different people do cables differently.  Some of us buy the cables through the year when they are on sale at the large hardware stores, or the dollar stores.  Some buy the wire and add outlets right where they need them.  Some use computer power cords.  Depends in part what you have available in your area, or what you decide to order by internet, etc.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, »
        A quick follow up. I got my programmer today and was able to program my chip, I installed the driver, plugged it in and everything installed as expected so i'm assuming its working fine.

Yeah Keith, thats kinda what I've been doing, been messing with vixen a lot.  still trying to decide how many channels are gonna be doable for my first show.  I don't wanna plan too big and be out of my budget, but more than that out of time. I work a 50+ hour a week job  with days off split as im sure is the case with many people here.  Also waiting for Sat. after Christmas to get some lights.  Naturally I have a few, but not near as many as im gonna need so looking forward to the sales so I can get as many as possible.  

Does anyone have suggestions of where to get the ac cords, or do most of the people here by the big spools of cable and the ends? I've found the 1000ft spools a few places just thought someone here might know who usually has the best deal.

Thanks Everyone
Phil  

I use to buy lamp extension cords when they were on sale, but this year I started to use 1000' spools of wire with the vampire plugs, (I can say that I prefer the spools with the vampire plugs) from Paul's company CDI.  He does a big discount group buy that is going on right now.  During this group buy you can get 1000' spools for a decent price.

Bill

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, »
I did the same thing this year Bill and admittedly was apprehensive about it. I must say though, every cord I built worked and worked well the first time. I'm so pleased with the results I don't think I'm gonna do extension cords anymore.  :D

Leon
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, »
How do you get in on the group buy?

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, »
Ditto on the bulk wire and vampire plugs... and nothing to be apprehensive about! 

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester