Author Topic: ssc wont hold programming  (Read 774 times)

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
ssc wont hold programming
« on: December 22, 2012, »
Hey guys

Been fighting this one string, that somehow seems to effect other string....
Thought i fixed it by reprogrammming the pic. Then a week later i had issues again.
I did find just a bit of water, but not on the actual board.
Dried it out, now i can succesfully program it, but when i go to run it doesnt work, then i go back to verify the pic programming and it fails. Have done this a couple times in a row, so its like something is scrambling the programming. Unfortunately at the moment i dont have an extre chip.

Anybody else had this issue?
Boucher Family Lights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: ssc wont hold programming
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, »
i have two, that got shorted out.

I went to verify the chip, and it show the same check sum as an unprogrammed pic. so i programmed it again, and no go.

it did have firmware on it, as i was using it as a test ssc, until i came across one that was wired wrong.

i haven't checked yet on what was wrong.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, »
If you reprogram the pic with the firmware, then setup the SSC with starting channel, grouping and so forth with the SSC utility, the checksum of the program of the pic will be different and it will fail a verify against a 'blank' firmware. That doesn't mean that the PIC firmware is bad (but that doesn't guarantee it is good either). If the failure happens kind of in the middle of the verification process, not right right away, and the SSC had been set with a start channel different than 1, less nodes than 128, or/and any other options that are not the default ones, there is a good chance that this is what you are seeing.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, »
no, i meant it had the same check sum as a brand new pic without any firmware on it...  (i think it's like 795A, or something similar)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, »
ooops, my reply was meant to the OP.
A brand new pic should be only 0xFF values in there. Checksum would not matter much.