Hardware > Lynx MR16 / 16 CH DC Controller

MR16 Wiring

<< < (2/4) > >>

ThaiWay:
I'm looking at Robb's diagram though, and thinking it is not necessary to run a separate "+" wire to each MR16 in the cannon, right?  i.e. only one "+" is needed for all the reds which would be controlled by channel one (with a resistor at each MR16 bulb?)

In other words if a cannon has three colors (regardless of the number of MR16's on each color) and you're using 4-conductor cable, you would use a common "+" wire for all the MR16's in the cannon, and a discreet "-" wire for each group of MR16's of the same color that you want to control as a set (provided your cable supports the current required.)

Unless of course you want to control EACH MR16 in the cannon individually, which is why kylec asked that question Robb...

Correct me if made any misstatement here, as I need to understand too.

John

Ron:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In other words if a cannon has three colors (regardless of the number of MR16's on each color) and you're using 4-conductor cable, you would use a common "+" wire for all the MR16's in the cannon, and a discreet "-" wire for each group of MR16's of the same color that you want to control as a set (provided your cable supports the current required.)

--- End quote ---

Right, assuming you want to control all the same color in each canon with one channel.  That would give you a light canon with 3 colors, however many lights you want, controlled from 3 channels.

Ron

claytor1999:
Sorry for the confusion guys. I'm trying to build my first MR16 and thinking ahead to the wiring. Since I didn't have a specific layout in mind I just went with RJ's example to get my head around the circuitry. I understood how he wanted to control the lights but didn't understand the wiring that went with it. I figured if I could understand his example I could figure out my own configuration when I created it. Sorry if it sounded like I wasn't directly answering Kyle's question... I didn't phrase my response properly.

What I think I'll end up doing is physically grouping 3 MR16s together of different colors (RGB) which would constitute 1 canon. I would then have several of these groupings (multiple canons) but would wire the reds together, greens together, and blues together. So no matter which cannon the red MR16 is in it's being controlled with the other red MR16s. I updated the diagram but it will make you cross-eyed.   ;)

Once again - thanks for all your help,
Robb

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

ThaiWay:
...and while you're at it, why not daisy chain the "-" from the first of each color to the next just like you daisy chain the "+" ?

Yes, I'm cross-eyed now  ;D

John

RJ:
This is fine but you will not have seperate control of the canons. This is the reason there are 16 channels on the controller.  Do as you have in the last drawing but leave only the first cannon hooked up to the first three channels. Move the second cannon to the channnels #4 ,5 & 6.   Move cannon #3 to channels 7,8 & 9.  Now you can make the cannons different colors and brightness. This is the idea. You can have the cannons all hooked to the same channel but that is very limiting to be only able to light every thing or nothing or only be green or red or blue all or none.

And to make it clearer the (+ or pos) ouputs on the controller are all just hooked together on one big trace. The (- or NEG) outputs are the ones that are controlled seperately as channels.

RJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version