Author Topic: What is everyone using for Flood Lights?  (Read 3444 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
What is everyone using for Flood Lights?
« on: January 19, 2013, »
My question is: What is everyone using for color wash in their displays? Please give me details and use for each. I am trying to decide how to better color my house. I have included a picture of my house. Any sugestions are welcome. Right now I have 4 Aether I and 4 Aether IIs, but they don't reach the roof eves and such. Some experience and expert advise are needed. Thanks in advance and feel free to talk anything about Floods in this thread.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: What is everyone using for floods?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, »
What is everyone using for floods?

Hip Boots and water pumps  ;D

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, »
Dang it Rick.  I was gonna say sandbags and levees!  LOL
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, »
What is everyone using for floods?

Hip Boots and water pumps  ;D

Rick R.

I busted up laughing when I read this. Good one Rick.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, »
LMAO  <la.. Now how about some help?!!!!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: What is everyone using for Flood Lights?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, »
OK Rick are you happy now?   ;D  >:D

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, »
Aether II

Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, »
I built something like HolidayCoro's cheap-o floods that I used side-by-side with Aether2s for 2 years.  They are good but not as bright or as intense as the other 2 on my list, so I think I'll decomission them this year and use more Aether2s and the new floods from Ray.

HolidayCoro.com, $24.50 + $7 enclosure + 12v DC power, DIY.  Includes 3-channel controller, amd 10x 3-LED dumb plastic 5050 rectangles:

Aether2, $81.50 w/1-lens + $7 enclosure + 12v AC power, DIY.  Very bright, can be customized as a work light, or customized with wireless DMX.  Many lens options for tight or wide angles.

Ray 10w Flood, $24 + 12v DC power.  Very bright, pre-assembled with enclosure, with 3-pin XLR connectors.  No lens options, so a wide flood light controlled only by distance from the wall.  Extra shipping costs from China.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, »
I was thinking about those from Ray. Mount a few under my eves and project downward.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, »
I was thinking about those from Ray. Mount a few under my eves and project downward.
the listing in Ray's store does not really show it, but the floods have a nice mounting bracket. 

if you look around in the store, there are other similar looking floods that are not RGB, but the pictures shows the mounting bracket better.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline John2571

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, »
For floods last year I rented 10 from 4wall entertainment. They are very bright and 4 or 5 should cover your house just fine.
Regards, John

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, »
I think you are like me and will be forced to mount some strategically for the 2nd floor.  I suppose you could get some from Ray but you will need more after all it is all just a lumens to square foot thing.  I would stick to aether IIs but that's me. 

You have 8 aethers?  I say you need 2 more.  6 aether's on ground from the corners and find a way to get 4 for 2nd floor coverage.  Maybe from the returns or whatever they're called.  It all really depends on your intended level of color saturation.  I prefer mine well saturated.  If I had to throw out a figure I'd say the aether II's cover well to my liking about 100ft2 (10x10) at 3' away from house.  After some suggestion, I think I will end up with 6 aether IIs to saturate my house which I guess is about 600 ft2 (30x20).  This is all after a beer non scientific of course...   ;D
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline travailen

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, »
I am using smart strings attached to 3/4 PVC for my eves. They are attached to my eves by clips. I have decided to see if I can use the eve PVC to also wash part of the house. I plan to move the clips to the lower edge of the eve. Then attach a second smart string to the back side of the PVC. It would be slightly offset so that when the eve string is pointing forward, the wash string would be offset to to wash the House. I will not be able to get to it until the middle of Feb. After I get some set up I will do some pictures.

Rick S

Offline zwiller

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, »
The strings will wash color but I really like the contrast of colors from the floods against the strips.  Probably the best example is the intro of: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  It all really depends on what you want from your floods.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, »
Sam you are correct that I want more saturation towards the eves. I actually have everything to build 4 more Aether IIs EXCEPT the pcbs and heat sinks. I bought everything after I missed a COOP thinking that they would be in the store. Then I came to find out that there are no extra pcbs for the Aethers. I even have all of the different lens for them.

I think you are like me and will be forced to mount some strategically for the 2nd floor.  I suppose you could get some from Ray but you will need more after all it is all just a lumens to square foot thing.  I would stick to aether IIs but that's me. 

Didn't I see a post from you with the floods that you used? Some smaller ones as I remember.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, by rdebolt »