Author Topic: What is everyone using for Flood Lights?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Re: What is everyone using for Flood Lights?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, »
I find it hard to believe that 8 Aethers is not doing it for you...especially with a one story house.  I would think that 5, maybe 6,  would have done it.  I used 5 Aether 2's on my house and am pretty happy with it.  You can see what mine looks like with different sections lighting up here:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .

Of course if you are trying to light up your roof, that is another story.

Just my $0.02,
-Keith

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, by lonewolf41 »

Offline zwiller

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, »
I would try to get some pcbs from coop manager during coop time and explain the situation to RJ.  I trust him, but not sure the reason why these don't show up in the store. 

Those lights in my show thread were just spots on top half of house lights facing street.  All my aethers are on the ground.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Aethers starting and spots around 0:32. 

I get it, you want strong color saturation.  I am the same way, I like the bold color wash.  Of course they can throw farther when you back them up but you lose intensity.  That's the trade off.  Keith's got his dialed in pretty good in terms of throw and saturation.  I suspect mine are closer to my house (3') to get them to "pop" especially when competing with the other lights on the house.  Each house is different though.

Putting some aethers on my 2nd story should open some new sequencing ideas too... 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I find it hard to believe that 8 Aethers is not doing it for you...especially with a one story house.  I would think that 5, maybe 6,  would have done it.  I used 5 Aether 2's on my house and am pretty happy with it.  You can see what mine looks like with different sections lighting up here:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .

Just my $0.02,
-Keith

The bottom of the house is fine. I actually am using 3 of my Aethers on the trees to the right. As per my first post I am looking to better light under my eves. The front of my house blocks the Aethers from reaching that high. I am trying to figure out how to get them mounted to get there or something smaller using several. Just trying to see what others are using and getting suggestions.

I AM very happy with my Aethers!!!

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, »

Just my $0.02,
-Keith

The bottom of the house is fine. I actually am using 3 of my Aethers on the trees to the right. As per my first post I am looking to better light under my eves. The front of my house blocks the Aethers from reaching that high. I am trying to figure out how to get them mounted to get there or something smaller using several. Just trying to see what others are using and getting suggestions.

I AM very happy with my Aethers!!!

Now that I look closer at your picture, I can see how it would be difficult to get some parts up high lit due to the construction.  I don't know if the 15 degree lens on an Aether 2 would work from the ground to get over your front door or not.  I don't know if RGB strips or nodes mounted underneath the eave would be bright enough or not.  Might have to just try it.

Good luck,
-Keith

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, »

Now that I look closer at your picture, I can see how it would be difficult to get some parts up high lit due to the construction.  I don't know if the 15 degree lens on an Aether 2 would work from the ground to get over your front door or not.  I don't know if RGB strips or nodes mounted underneath the eave would be bright enough or not.  Might have to just try it.

Good luck,
-Keith

I have 15 degree lens, but at that range it does not saturate well enough to me.... I know I am being too picky!

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, »
Do you have a picture of the house lit up with the Aether's so we can see the current bare spots? I have in my head where they are based on your description, but hard to beat a picture.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline zwiller

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, »
Good idea on the photo. 

Since I don't use the work light stands, I have some ideas for 2nd floor mounts.  I imagine some length of 1/2" abs (black) or pvc with holes drilled in it to mount to facia/soffit, a 90, and small length of pvc to attach to aether would work.  For aether remove stand and mount an end cap to bracket to attach to pvc.  I'd start testing with 2' from house and leave end cap unglued to tweak angle to liking. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, »
Do you have a picture of the house lit up with the Aether's so we can see the current bare spots? I have in my head where they are based on your description, but hard to beat a picture.

I don't. I have never taken pictures with just the Aethers and right now they are buried under snow and we are supposed to get more tonight!  <md.. That is actually my plan after the thaw, to put out just the Aethers with no other lights on the house. Unfortunately I don't think that is going to be anytime soon.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, »
Good idea on the photo. 

Since I don't use the work light stands, I have some ideas for 2nd floor mounts.  I imagine some length of 1/2" abs (black) or pvc with holes drilled in it to mount to facia/soffit, a 90, and small length of pvc to attach to aether would work.  For aether remove stand and mount an end cap to bracket to attach to pvc.  I'd start testing with 2' from house and leave end cap unglued to tweak angle to liking. 

That sounds like a good idea, but my room is limited. Not sure if that will work with the way that I mount my icicle lights. That is if I am picturing it in my head correctly.

Offline crazybob

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, »
It looks like Ray's flood lights are 10w lights. However, under the power specifications, it says "3R:3G:3B".
Does that mean each LED is 3 watts, and the whole light only takes 9 watts?

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, »
I had really good luck with the 3 led modules (the ones dave uses for his floodlight) mounted under my eave.  I left them strung together just like they come right out of the bag, attached them to a small piece of wood and put them under my eave, slightly angled toward the wall.  You can not see the modules from the street but they light the wall pretty well.  they are dumb RGB and i ran them all on 1 of the holidaycoro dmx modules.

Offline kiplorenzo

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, »
I started building my own wash lights as the cost to buy ready made is pricey. I'm using the dumb led ribbon and soldering wire, Using a sheet of outdoor siding from Home Depot with a couple of boards around the sides and a small sheet of Plastic glass (home depot has them). I'll be posting some of the fixtures that I have soon. I just transformed a large driveway light into an LED ribbon (used 2 sets of SMD 5050 IP68) and it really is bright and turned out well.

Kip

Offline crazybob

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, »
Does anyone know how to change the DMX address of Ray's flood lights? Do you have to buy his programmer?