Author Topic: hot glue and smart strings  (Read 4203 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
hot glue and smart strings
« on: July 19, 2013, »
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I have always liked the rigid strips for the mega trees but I'm gonna use strings instead. I'm thinking about placing the strings on 3/4 PVC and hot gluing them equally on the PVC pointing up so the lights are perfectly aligned so it has the appearance of the strips. Anyone else do this?
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: hot glue and smart strings
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, »
Folks have:
  • Used a saw to cut a line down the length of the PVC pipe, then slide the bulbs into the PVC so that it acts as a clamp holding each bulb aligned outward.
  • Drilled holes through the PVC pipe (from back to front) for each bulb, then have the bulbs insert from the back to the font.  wire ties, tape, even glue can be used to hold down the wire to prevent the bulbs from falling out.
Without PVC, folks have:
  • Taped the wires to packing straps/bands.  (The Walter Monkhouse method!)
  • Melted holes through nylon mesh straps.  The holes should be tight-enough that they will hold the bulbs in place without tape or glue.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, »
Hot glue tends to loose its grip if it get cold enough. I would zip tie. PVC may sag too much I would try 1 leg to see if it happens once lights are attached (I can't remember if I tried 3/4 or 1/2). Some have used conduit instead. I used 3/4 by 1/2 wood strips and scotch super 88 electrical tape. I would have used metal conduit but was afraid some kid would get zapped.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Folks have:
  • Drilled holes through the PVC pipe (from back to front) for each bulb, then have the bulbs insert from the back to the font.  wire ties, tape, even glue can be used to hold down the wire to prevent the bulbs from falling out.
   [/li]
[/list]

I have drilled holes. Lots of holes. This is a very stable option but not very large (80 inches wide)
1/2" holes fill take Ray Wu's 8mm/12mm pixels, though sometimes I had to push pretty hard.

The pixels actually are fully inside the PVC so I did not do any glue, tape or ties.

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, »
I've also seen a mega tree made with ratcheting tie downs with holes made by burning with a wood burning tool.  Then the nodes are placed in the holes.  Not sure if they used hot glue to hold the nodes in or not.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline FireMedic4Christ

hot glue and smart strings
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, »
    Folks have:
       [/li]
    [/list]

I have drilled holes. Lots of holes. This is a very stable option but not very large (80 inches wide)
    1/2" holes fill take Ray Wu's 8mm/12mm pixels, though sometimes I had to push pretty hard.

The pixels actually are fully inside the PVC so I did not do any glue, tape or ties.

Do you think this method would be strong enough on a 12' mega tree? Is this the matrix on display at the academy?

Brian

Offline JonB256

• My website
    « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, »
    This matrix (40x24) was in a Vendor booth at Academy.

My big matrix (126x32) was in the classroom

Galaxy Note II

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
    « Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, »
    Drilling is the one thing I didn't want to do. I have lights hot glued to forms on other displays and they take the weather here ok. I guess my whole goal is to keep the light pointing in the same direction and spacing. I'm not so concerned with the PVC bending pr bowing either. The PVC is gonna have hooks on top which is hooked to a steel pole and secures at the bottom at the ground.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, »
    Planning to fool around and test stuff like this today. 

Some random thoughts.  PVC can actually be quite brittle in cold weather and is white.  In my research, ABS is far better for cold temps and is lighter and as a bonus is black.  Although I used hot glue quite successfully attaching modules to wood frames I would be concerned the flex of the pipe AND cold weather might pop them loose.  Also, the extra effort ensuring the spacing while hot gluing might be more time consuming than you realize, might as well poke holes.  BUT, I test everything I do, including throwing whatever I build in the freezer and and then twist and break stuff so I have a good idea what to expect.  I would at least make 2' section to test...  You might luck out. 

My current plan to test: 2" abs ripped into 1.5" strips (4) with holes on 3.5 centers gives me 32 nodes to 10' length.  Gonna use a jig saw to make initial rip in half.  Then to the table saw.  I will then set up a jig on my drill press and make one perfect strip as a drill guide.  Then I will stack say 4 strips on top one another, placing guide on top, then tape/hot glue/clamp them together temporarily and then hand drill the group.  Rinse, lather, and repeat until I have 16 strips with holes.  Shouldn't be an all day affair. 

I haven't decided but plan to add a dab of either hot glue or silicone adhesive to pixel before pushing through hole.  BTW I plan to use these and not regular pixels to add rigidity and ensure pixels protrude the same height.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Main concern at this point is whether the holes will make the strip fail but ABS is also supposed to be quite flexible.  We'll see. 

Lots of options with pipe size etc.  Here is a take on same idea with 1-1/2" painted PVC pipe in half: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Originally, I wanted to use 4" but found 2" much more cost effective.

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline JonB256

• My website
    « Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, »
    ... I guess my whole goal is to keep the light pointing in the same direction and spacing. I'm not so concerned with the PVC bending pr bowing either. The PVC is gonna have hooks on top which is hooked to a steel pole and secures at the bottom at the ground.

Keeping my pixels pointed the same way (straight toward the intended viewer) was exactly why I did all drilling.
    The PVC bars are held together with three vertical pieces of 1/4" all-thread. Wing nuts on each end. 1/2" Sch 20 PVC spacers keep the distance correct.

When hanging (by three tie-wraps), this is very stable. The whole grid is actually two identical sections of 12 PVC rods. They are tie-wrapped together to form the 24 row matrix. Cut the tie wraps and the bottom grid will lie nestled into the top grid, pixel to pixel. Once together, it is very transportable. All of the 3-wire connectors are down the left side (4 per section).

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
    « Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, »
    So this is an entirely different way of getting there but I am planning to use the Monkhouse method this year:

Basically you use electrical tape to tape the node wire to bands of polyester strapping.  I know that Sielbear used this method last year for his mega tree and was very happy with the results.

This year I am planning to use this method for my mega tree and for two matrices.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, »
    ... I guess my whole goal is to keep the light pointing in the same direction and spacing. I'm not so concerned with the PVC bending pr bowing either. The PVC is gonna have hooks on top which is hooked to a steel pole and secures at the bottom at the ground.

Keeping my pixels pointed the same way (straight toward the intended viewer) was exactly why I did all drilling.
    The PVC bars are held together with three vertical pieces of 1/4" all-thread. Wing nuts on each end. 1/2" Sch 20 PVC spacers keep the distance correct.

When hanging (by three tie-wraps), this is very stable. The whole grid is actually two identical sections of 12 PVC rods. They are tie-wrapped together to form the 24 row matrix. Cut the tie wraps and the bottom grid will lie nestled into the top grid, pixel to pixel. Once together, it is very transportable. All of the 3-wire connectors are down the left side (4 per section).
    I took a close look at Jon's grid in the vendor area -- it was VERY nice and uniform and well thought out... 
    There is something said for being able to pack it up and bring it home with you -- or store it as-is in your attic.
    I also liked John's big grid (32x126) but the plywood stand, the 15' pipe with wire ties holding flex strips is not likely the path I would take in my yard -- still, it was incredible to behold.
    Nice job, Jon!
    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, »
     <md..
    So this is an entirely different way of getting there but I am planning to use the Monkhouse method this year:

Basically you use electrical tape to tape the node wire to bands of polyester strapping.  I know that Sielbear used this method last year for his mega tree and was very happy with the results.

This year I am planning to use this method for my mega tree and for two matrices.
    +1 on the tree.  I'll use the poly mesh, but otherwise very similar.  With tension to avoid the sag I think it will look nice and uniform.
    I'm not so confident about a matrix -- due to sag in the material, unless it is a vertical matrix suspended from above and with tension below.

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
    « Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, »
    <md..

+1 on the tree.  I'll use the poly mesh, but otherwise very similar.  With tension to avoid the sag I think it will look nice and uniform.
    I'm not so confident about a matrix -- due to sag in the material, unless it is a vertical matrix suspended from above and with tension below.

For the matrix my plan is to build a PVC frame and wrap the strapping around the top and bottom PVC.  Each section of the matrix would be about a foot wide so I will have support to keep the PVC from sagging.

It sounds good in my head... We will see how actual implementation goes :)

Frank

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
    « Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, »
    Lots of great ideas. I like the split PVC thing .. I would not use white PVC, I was thinking about the electric pipe because its gray. Splitting the PVC is gonna be difficult some ppl tho. When I get back from vacation in gonna start the tree.  Thanks for all the ideas guys... This is why I post these questions...