Author Topic: hot glue and smart strings  (Read 4202 times)

Offline zwiller

Re: hot glue and smart strings
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, »
They weren't kidding when they said abs is flexible...  Maybe too flexible.  I tried to break it many ways that I am am sure would cause a failure with pvc and no problems.  Need to try another way to rip, the jig saw method did not go well.  I plan to stick with the table saw next time. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, »
I think people have used a table saw (or even a handheld power saw) with a rig to cut the slot.
With a fence -- maybe a fence on each side -- you could keep the pipe from moving around as you move it across the saw blade.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, »
I used a table saw myself.  Had a fence on both sides to do it just in case.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, »
So this is an entirely different way of getting there but I am planning to use the Monkhouse method this year:

Basically you use electrical tape to tape the node wire to bands of polyester strapping.  I know that Sielbear used this method last year for his mega tree and was very happy with the results.

This year I am planning to use this method for my mega tree and for two matrices.

I looked at the monk house method, it creates a perfect megatee. I had a few problems with it, for my display. In order to get the bands straight you need 3-5 lbs of tension per band. I have 20 flex strips so I would create over 100lbs of upward force. You need to engineer your base to handle this force.

Second, I wanted to be able to take a single strand down to work on it, if needed, without having to bring the whole thing down.

In my megatee, I cable tied flex strips to 1/2" steel emt.

This worked very nice for me. I only have a 4m tree, this method would not have worked on larger trees.

Thanks
Sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, »
I used wire ties on mine facing up on nylon support rope.

at the top of the pipe, i used a flange to tie to (used metal floral wire from Michaels)

at the bottom, i used aluminum tent stakes I picked up in the outdoor gear aisle at wal mart.

never had a problem with them.

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline FireMedic4Christ

hot glue and smart strings
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, »
I used wire ties on mine facing up on nylon support rope.

at the top of the pipe, i used a flange to tie to (used metal floral wire from Michaels)

at the bottom, i used aluminum tent stakes I picked up in the outdoor gear aisle at wal mart.

never had a problem with them.

How tall was your tree?

Brian

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Re: hot glue and smart strings
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, »
I

Chris, if I was replacing my 360 degree megatree with a 360 degree pixel tree, I'd probably do it this way.

Galaxy Note II
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, by JonB256 »

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, »
about 14-15" tall...

but it would work the same way with a larger tree.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, »
My mega tree will be a little taller at 10 FEET  ;D

UPDATE: Hot glue bonds to abs extremely well.  Better than I expected.  I read some info on the web confirming this as well.  That said, the node did not adhere well at all.  I think it is silicone.  My experience with silicone is a mechanical fastener is better but silicone adhesive works great if you have the time for it to set. 

Next up to test is the flat node with epoxy back fill.  The curvature of the pipe allows the wires protruding from the rear of the node to sit flush.  Running wires perpendicular to the pipe should make spacing with a jig easier...  The question is does hot glue bond well to the epoxy (or whatever it is) of the rear of the node. 

I'd also like to try the new technicolor pixels which I think are made of plastic since I have plenty of elements that I plan to hot glue even if I go forward drilling for the mega tree. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline zwiller

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, »
No dice on the bond of hot glue to the epoxy.  Not sure if the technicolor nodes are the same construction as an extension cord, but I tested the female end of one and it did not bond well either.  This stinks because the plastic rectangular and steel square modules bond rather well with hot glue.  I see lots of drilling in the future...   

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, »
I tried drillng and got as far as 1 pipe and raised the white flag. I zip tied them to the pipe. It looks good and I obtained the spacing I wanted.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, »
what are you referring to as the epoxy? the filling in the back of the node?

Offline zwiller

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, »
Yes