Author Topic: what type of spot lights are people using?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline caretaker

Re: what type of spot lights are people using?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, »
Looking at the board from the picture it could either be a constant current driver or a bridge rectifier. either way the spots are set up there is no polarity connection like using a full wave bridge rectifier. There is a company that make LED spots called Darklight You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that uses full wave bridges in there LED spot lights so there is no polarity worries.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are beyond my understanding of leds but the spots are not raw leds and have a board and I assume it is a driver which does the "magic".  Pics here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was completely blown away to find a board in a Chinese light labeled "MR16"!  Also, I think the design of the DSC is based on the MR16, and in my mind the DSC is a 3 channel MR16 and I thought they are constant current...  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I would love your comments about the board and lights and while we are at it, no matter how I wire the lights they turn on.  I would not expect them to do that.  Does polarity matter?  Any thoughts? 

Lastly, Mark brings up a good point.  I plan run these for a few hours and see what happens/check heat etc.  I can tell you this already that no heat was generated at all with the DSC with flashing the leds running test firmware while testing.
Jeff Squires

Offline zwiller

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, »
Looks like I didn't update this thread.  In this thread I go onto test the spots for a few hours and confirm dimming and polarity a non issue.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, »
Looking at the board from the picture it could either be a constant current driver or a bridge rectifier. either way the spots are set up there is no polarity connection like using a full wave bridge rectifier. There is a company that make LED spots called Darklight You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that uses full wave bridges in there LED spot lights so there is no polarity worries.

You are beyond my understanding of leds but the spots are not raw leds and have a board and I assume it is a driver which does the "magic".  Pics here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was completely blown away to find a board in a Chinese light labeled "MR16"!  Also, I think the design of the DSC is based on the MR16, and in my mind the DSC is a 3 channel MR16 and I thought they are constant current...  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I would love your comments about the board and lights and while we are at it, no matter how I wire the lights they turn on.  I would not expect them to do that.  Does polarity matter?  Any thoughts? 

Lastly, Mark brings up a good point.  I plan run these for a few hours and see what happens/check heat etc.  I can tell you this already that no heat was generated at all with the DSC with flashing the leds running test firmware while testing.

So Jeff,

There should be no issue with driving a 10w LED off of the DSC board?  This would be great news, nothing else to buy!!

Thanks,
- Mark

Offline arw01

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, »
Has someone found a DSC compatible RGB small LED spot?  I'm thinking I might like just a few of those in the show to supplement some aethers's and do the spot effect on a few timing marks.

Alan

Offline zwiller

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, »
I like the way this thread is going.  Ray has a 10W rgb flood that is dmx but you have to by a programmer to change channels. 

If I didn't know any better, I believe this thread proves one could mod a spot like mine by simply replacing led and wiring, provided of course a DSC or MR16 powers it.  Happy to test if anyone has a spare...  Pretty sure the 4 core connector would replace the existing wiring well and maintain IP rating.  I am sure a more knowledgeable person will step in crush our dreams though.   ;D   

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline arw01

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, »
Well, I am almost tempted to buy one of those pond RGB ones with a controller off ebay and just cut it open   >.d9  almost, I do have a few too many projects going, however!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, »
"I triple dog dare ya!"

That is probably the best way to go about it if you don't already have the spots.  Wow, the prices on the RGB spots have fallen!   

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, »
Has someone found a DSC compatible RGB small LED spot?  I'm thinking I might like just a few of those in the show to supplement some aethers's and do the spot effect on a few timing marks.

Alan

Alan,

I bought some of the bare LED's from Holiday Coro.  I have two different ways to go as far as how to drive them: 1) Possibly use the DSC as a constant current driver and just place them in an enclosure or 2) Use a DSC or MR16 to drive a "labeled" constant current driver and find a larger enclosure!

This is why my questions regarding the DSC.  Much less expensive and only a single board rather than the other route.
- Mark

Offline arw01

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, »
I had considered that myself, but the lack of enclosures discouraged me.  The cheap ebay pond ones I thought would be ok to make a guinnea pig out of and I suspect if they run on just plain landscape wires for 12v and a use a 4 wire controller they would wire right into a dsc and away we go.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, »
Ok this is getting weird:  The 10W rgb led from Holiday Coro looks identical to my white ones You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  AND the 4 conductor wire fits the hardware for the spotlight perfectly... 

Offline caretaker

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, »
That depends on the 10 watt LED....  most require some sort of constant current supply but there are some that will work as long as the voltage and current is kept in the proper range.  Going beyond this is past technical point I think RJ has in mind for this board.

So Jeff,

There should be no issue with driving a 10w LED off of the DSC board?  This would be great news, nothing else to buy!!

Thanks,
Jeff Squires

Offline arw01

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, »
So what exactly is a constant current driver?

Offline zwiller

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, »
Keeping it less technical but more exciting. ;D  Just bought some leds from Holiday Coro and will see if they work or burn...  Place your bets! 

Boy, I really need my order from Ray ::)