Author Topic: RJ45 jacks?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Re: RJ45 jacks?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, »
Here comes the monkey wrench.

I recommend using the screw terminals Eurostyle blocks that can be plugged into the PCB at either 90 or 180 degree orientation to the board.

You can have the best of both worlds that way.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sorry about the fuzzy picture.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, »
No RJ45 failures for me in 2 seasons.  Keep the RJ45's.  It is easier to use them than soldering custom cables.  If I have problems, I would go with the 4-core connectors from Ray.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, »
i say keep the rj45. it's easy, quick, and after  2 years now,  I've not had any problems. I don't spray them with anything, I don't cover them, and I've had no issues. I live in northern Kentucky where rain is plentiful in late November and early December so they get plenty of moisture. not quite like you guys in the north west but enough. that's just my opinion from my experience.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, »
I would suggest keeping them  :) keeps everything simple and if someone is short a couple of cables you can just go to the local hardware store, target, ect. and just plug them in and you are done. I use dialectric grease in all connection to avoid any corrosion or moisture issues. cleans off easily with elec. contact cleaner and gives me a good connection

Offline keitha43

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, »
The waterproof RJ45 connectors dont work very well. On the rainbow floods I built years ago, when I went to tear down the display on a lot of them the RJ45 jacks had melted and/or failed. I switched to the 4 core waterproof plugs and had no more problems. That being said, I didn't have a problem with the SSC RJ45 jacks but then I had them in cheap plastic Tupperware type containers with grooves for the cords cut out. My vote is to keep RJ45 jacks on the boards themselves and 4 core pigtails on the other end as an option for the individual to decide if he wants it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, by keitha43 »

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, »
What about a dual footprint that can take either an RJ45 or a 100mil header/screw terminal?  That way you can use whichever you prefer?
/mike

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, »
I am probably going to jinx myself, but I have not had a single problem with the RJ45 connectors. I have had 14 of them exposed to the elements for 3 seasons. I do spray them with a synthetic lubricant when I assemble them.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline kernal

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, »
I think the easiest way to try and keep up with this is do a poll.  ??  Lots of great input.  Only problem i had was with the loose fit from cat5 to dmx dongle at the dongle. 
My license plate says blinky.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, »
I have not had any RJ45 failures, but my all my SSCs on the house are up under the eaves and do not get direct water exposure.  The SSCs in the yard have a long cat5 cable on them and go straight to the hubs so again no RJ45s exposed to direct water contact.  I have yet to try using a 4 pin waterproof connector except with a DSC and that is going from the controller to the lights, not to the hub.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, »
I have had zero issues with the connectors.  I have used them over and over and no issues.  I have a couple of Aether II out 365 days a year and still work just fine.  I think simple is important. 

Offline caretaker

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, »
I'll throw my 2 cents in. I did not have any RJ45 failures this year but on every exposed connection I used No-Olox a antix oxidizing grease used for aluminum wire electrical connections. Since I am switching my megatree over to a Zeus 16 I will no longer have to worry about the RJ45 connections for that and the rest I am going to remove the RJ45 connection at the SSC and solder the Cat6 right to the board since I make my own custom cables any way.

Bottom line keep it simple but if possible make it flexible.
Jeff Squires

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, »
I wish we could get away from screw terminals and go to spring clamp terminals.

Oh and I've not had problems with rj45s.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline plaberge

• Every good project requires a new tool
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, »
I like the RJ45s inside the waterproof cases but I had lots of failures with exposed ones. Once I figured out the issue - only on the ones connected to the SCCs -  it was pretty easy replace the connectors with waterproof ones.

My vote: keep them BUT provide clear directions (as part of the SCC build manual or near it) on how to optionally install waterproof 4 pin connectors both on the SCC and at the end of a pre-made cable for SSC use in a wet location.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, by plaberge »
- Paul
  North Vancouver, BC