Author Topic: Future Lynx Express Coops?  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: Future Lynx Express Coops?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, »
[rant]
Ask yourself, "Would I spend that much of my own time and effort to help people, most of whom I have never met, make their Christmas lights blink and flash and not get paid?
Remember, RJ and all the other coop managers make no money on these coops and spend countless hours tallying, getting quotes, sending and receiving pms, collecting money, ordering parts and supplies, receiving parts, sorting, packaging, shipping and many other things.
 This years first LE coop was for 600 units. The parts were delivered in a tractor/trailer! Look at the pictures You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login . If it took only 10 minutes to sort,  package and label each LE, that is 6000 minutes, or 100 hours after the parts arrive.
If you really need to have some LEs immediately, send a pm to RJ and buy some pcbs and order the parts from Mouser or Newark. You may pay a little more, but you will have your controllers.

[/rant]
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Folks if we post heads up of when the coop will start how would it change. You would still have the exact same amount of people getting them and it would be closed in 2 minutes.

We did not know we were going to run another one until 10 minutes prior. It was decided while talking with the staff about coop timeing.

We do as many as we can handle but it is hard to meet the demand as volunteer coop people doing it.

In the past when we did post the time of the start of a coop. I had people complaining they we working at that tme and could not get any. Others were mad as they were in a different time zone and were asleep, ect.

You know I have never had a single member send me a pm or post letting me know they just got all the coop kits they wanted and the coop was total unfair in how t was run, isn't that strange!

RJ

A few of us newbies have been watching patiently since the last express coop ended in January, and then this one pops up.
Less than 1 day later it is filled again because of someone coming in and sapping up a 20 count.
Let start to be fair.  
I watch almost every day, I guess I missed a day.
And now I miss another one.
Would I have made it if you limited it to so many per?  Not sure as I am positive from this posting there are a quite few that missed besides me.

Now to my point.
Seems like lately your coop is heavily in favor of those that are buying for mass quantities and large displays.
That is great, because it reaffirms how good and cost effective your designs are for those that otherwise could not afford the $$ on all sorts of LOR or some other commercial hardware.

Should that be the case?  That is up for you and your managers to decide.
But for someone to come in and buy 10% of your offer, that gets to quite unfair to us still in waiting.

Just an idea.
To perpetuate the virtual existence of your coop, you will need new blood each year.
This happening just makes some of the new still hungry and waiting members upset with the process and give it up.
Why not try limiting quantities for your coops, so that more can actually partake?
If someone does miss it, keep some type of waiting list of these members at least through your stated window (Same  Limit on waiting members)?

This would cover multiple issues I currently see.
1)  Members in waiting like me would have a better chance of getting in.
2)  You have a super coop, and a large number of reservations bow out during the payment process.
3)  Makes pre-planning for the next coop that much easier.
4)  To cover those that need the larger quantities over the limit, if they can not be accommodated in the first coop order, then ensure them they can get all they need in the next one.  They would be covered through a pre-planning process.

I know this sounds alittle like big business, but funny thing is it is how we keep our current customers happy and still grow with our new customers that do not want to wait.  We would never survive if we closed the door on our customers multiple times.  You are growing, and need to try and accommodate for it.

Regards,
Randy B

The problem is if you look back a few years you will see we tried this. I had 5 times as many upset people doing that way. My PM boxed filled with members needing XXX number and it was not fair they were not allowed to order their needs.

Their comments sounded like this. "I have been a member for 6 months waiting to jump in the first coop I could and get what I need for this year and when you open the coop you put a limit that prevents me from doing this with the excuss that the new people that just joined should get a chance because they might not be checking the forum often, This is bull it should be first come first serve!"

You answered it in your post.

This not a business and we run on volunteers that do the work for you all to save money remember this. We must do it on their schedules and the amount they can do.  

We are not able to make everyone happy all the time.

If you had wanted 20 units and got in the coop in time to get them you would at this point be happy and others would be complianing at me about it. And if you wanted twenty and I said you could have 4 you would be unhappy so it is a case of we do the best we can to meet the need.

When I say "you" I mean members not you yourself, Who ever things do not go in their favor is upset and those it did are happy. We did not tell certain people when the coop would happen. I myself knew 10 minutes before the post. This coop was not even suppost to happen it is an additional coop so it added more to the output.

As far as the coops favoring large shows I do not understand this? The coop prior to this one was open for weeks. No one was limited in quanitity or forced to take a certain amount. Some ordered 1 some ordered 20. Users need different amounts. We did have to close it early and even then I had compliants.  Like " I was waiting to order" well if you are watching a coop push in the hundreds and hundreds and sit waiting to join then it is not our fault you do not get them when the coop closes.  

Please do not read this as getting down on the membership but remember that armchair quarterbacking the running of DLA is like doing so in in the NFL. It seems easy till you get out on the field and have that first 300 lbs tackle stand on your head and all of a sudden it is a lot harder than it seemed watching from a far. For a none paying hobby gig it is really way too much work.

RJ
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, »
I kinda expected this to happen when this coop closed so soon.  I tend to agree with others that perhaps a limit needs to be placed on the number of units that can be ordered.  100 units is not a lot of them (yes, it still is a lot of work to sort) and all it takes is a few large orders and it's done.  You might want to consider setting a limit to 3 or 4 units each for the first week and if any are still left after that then the limits are lifted.  This gives many more people the chance to get in and still gives people the oppertunity to put in large orders if the demand is not huge like it is now.  I know that some may get upset not being able to put mega-orders in but I find many get much more upset if they can't get in at all. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, »
Look if you all need LEs pm RJ I'm sure he has boards from the first coop. You can order the parts your self from Mouser. So you do not save 20$. Is it worth getting upset over 20$.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, »
You would need PCB(s) and heatsinks from RJ ... if you went the mouser route.

I noticed that on the lynx wireless kits, the CO-OP(s) just don't save much over ordering yourself ... like maybe $3-5 total savings.  But in those, you still need to find the PCB(s) and cases in additional to the parts from Mouser.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, »
IMO, the way it is now is the way it should be.  First come first served.  I have been on the site three times daily waiting for an opportunity to buy 2 units. I myself was going to go the route of buying the PCB's and ordering the parts myself. If you look at what you are getting for the price, as compared to other boards, it is still the best deal in town.

If someone is on the site all day looking to get his 20 boards and be done with it, more power to him. From a sellers perspective I would rather send 20 to one person than 20 individual boxes.
I am not meaning to get anyone stirred up. Just giving my opinion on the matter.

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, »
As RJ says, when it comes to running coops, there is no way to make everyone happy.
There is the other problem when coops run too long or people are given too much time to pay.

Look at the Smart String controller coop. The members that got their orders in at the beginning will be waiting five months to get their parts.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, by smartcontrols »

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, »
As RJ says, when it comes to running coops, there is no way to make everyone happy.
There is the other problem when coops run too long or people are given too much time to pay.

Look at the Smart String controller coop. The members that got their orders in at the beginning will be waiting five months to get their parts.

I would not call the smart string Co-Op a problem.  I can not control how fast a vendor will have parts.
How soon or slow a person gets the payment in does not matter as long as all payments were received by the CutOff.

Bill

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, »
Very Sorry Bill. I did not mean to imply that the Smart String coop is a problem. I guess I worded it poorly.

I was just trying to point out that making coops small and short does not work well for everyone nor does running them larger and longer work well for everyone.

From what I have seen on here there are some of both and everything in between. You will never make everyone happy. 

Offline CB

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, »
I too would have liked to get in on this coop as well but as we all know you can't please everyone all the time, especially when this is a hobby.  Rest assured that if you missed out on this one inevitably there will either be members selling theirs or possibly another coop, after it is March and the 2nd LE coop is closed.  Also, no one should get upset because someone did decide the order 20% of the amount available and spend over $1,200 to do so, early birds get the worm.  Think about 100 LEs is over $6k so that is a large amount of money changing hands again for a hobby.

RJ and all the coop managers do a tremendous amount of volunteer work to not only help us but save us some money in the process.  So please just be patient and cooperative.  And no I don't "live in a van down by the river".

However that being said, in summary there were some good suggestions made but process is process so I say kudos to all the coop mangers, you all do a great job and keep up the good work. 

Thanks,

Corey

Offline kpurcell

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, »
Well I was the last person on LE super speed coop to get on the list. RJ let the the list grow a few units so I could get my requested 4 units instead of only 1 unit.

Thanks RJ!

Not sure how the best way to handle coop rules with such an occurrence but I do feel they are trying to run them as fairly as possible. I missed out on the 1st LE coop and knew there would be more.

Ken

Offline zwiller

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, »
Best way to stay in touch with when new coops are launched is to do the following;

Click; "Home" at the top menu

Click; "Current Coop's" forum link towards the bottom

Click; "Notify" top right hand green menu

This will prompt you to confirm that you want to be notified by email every time a new thread is started in the "Current Coop's" forum.

Now you can just worry about checking your email on your computer or via your phone.  If you phone is older you might be able to create an automatic forwarder to your mobile phone @ your provider.com address and it will arrive as a text message.

Leif

So how do I configure an auto-responder for 4 LE Kits for the next one???   ;D  Just joking.

Bet the host gets overloaded on the next one!   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline sleonhardt

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, »
I personal think it went fast is because of a sale for LE's that was going on at the same time. There was a mini loto going on at the time and I think a lot of us were on line waiting for the results. I'm not sure but that's what happened to me and I think many more.   

Scott