Author Topic: what size for tune to sign?  (Read 2606 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
what size for tune to sign?
« on: October 03, 2012, »
what size tune too sign should i use?

thanks

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Greg

Re: what size for tune to sign?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, »
Depends to an extent on how far away the viewer is going it be from the sign.  You could try printing some letters of various sizes, placing them at the appropriate distance and seeing how easily they can be read and scaling your sign based on that.  I will also depends on how well lit your sign will be, what font, etc.

I have two signs that I made, one is backlit white lettering on red background. The letters are 4.5" high and can be easily read from at least 30 feet way at night.  The other sign is front lit with 8" white lettering on a green background but the light isn't very intense because scatter would pollute the display elements nearby and I'd say it is easily readable from about the same distance as the other sign.  Both of the signs are only about 6' from the curb.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, »
Big enough that people don't have to drive around trying to figure out what to do (which takes away from those watching )   On a cul de sac, visibility from a distance is more critical than on a drive through display where sign visibility is limited in other ways.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, »
This one is 65" x 14" x 4.5" with 8 to 9" letters. It will be mounted 1ft. of the ground in front yard about 30 to 40 ft from viewer.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, »
I like that sign.  How did you set thatone up?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, »
I like that sign.  How did you set thatone up?

If was made with 20 square modules (3 LED TM1804), one SSC, and 1 sheet of black coro and strip of white coro for the background of the letters. It weighs less then 5 pounds. 

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, »
How easy is it to change the frequency.  I really like the way that one looks.  It looks really easy to read from a distance.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, »
You would have to buy new coro sheet and cut out new frequency. 15.00 in my area. But I hope I never need to. Three hour total build time.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, by dpitts »

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, »
Very nice !!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, »
I use the tune to signs from holidaycoro.com and they look great and are easy to read.  The primary purpose of my sign is to be informative and not part of the decorations,  I'm not against fancy decorative signs, but I want to make sure that the viewers see the appropriate tune to info.  My first signs were simply black letters on white core with a spotlight on it.  I then upgraded to the holiday coro sign which works great.  I have incans in them and change the intensity to 50% to reduce the brightness and the electrons used.  LOL  Here's some pics.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, »
I bought their coro sign this year as well.  It wasn't that expensive either.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, »
Nice sign Mr. Dpitts!!! I really like it. 

Offline tng5737

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, »
DPits very nice job!   How did you manage to cutout the lettering so precisely - it looks GREAT!   Are the 20 nodes just strung horz behind the lettering?

I built a HolidayCoro sign last year using CDI clear (white) leds.   It is VERY bright!   I had to turn the intensity down to about 15%.   My neighbor who is very nice politely asked me if I could move the sign to the other side of the house.  With the intensitty full on - it shone right into his front window and into his family room and was very distracting since it blinked OFF/ON between songs! :-)   The signs and frame sold by HC are very nice and you COULD change the freq. but it would be a lot of work!

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, »
2'x3'

I just placed my order today for a new one because my station was licensed by a station.  Let me know is you want more details.  They are about $85 but very nice.

Offline thestig

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, »
I didn't think this was worthy of a new thread so I am going to post it here. This is my plan for a tune to sign. What do you guys think?

Video should be up shortly, I literally just built this and uploaded it a few minutes ago.

had to edit, forgot to give dimensions. it is 18x24 inches.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, by thestig »