Author Topic: what size for tune to sign?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: what size for tune to sign?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
DPits very nice job!   How did you manage to cutout the lettering so precisely - it looks GREAT!   Are the 20 nodes just strung horz behind the lettering?

I just used a utility knife (sharp blade). Took my time. Two squares per character.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, by dpitts »

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, »
Here's what I did, it's a piece of plexiglass with black letters and red paint on the inside, held into a 18X24 for sale sign frame with 1 X 2 firing strips, and sheet metal screws, with a piece of plain coro on the back side with holes punched for a 100 count mini string of clears. It lit up very well, maybe too well, because I had to limit the output to 40%. I've got to change it this year to read "Tune Radio to" because countless people asked what's this "Tune to" mean? Guess they don't know what FM stands for?

Offline zwiller

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, »
Snip...   I've got to change it this year to read "Tune Radio to" because countless people asked what's this "Tune to" mean? Guess they don't know what FM stands for?

<fp.

My tune to sign has always been pretty weak but I agree with Jim its not part of the show. 

I like yours Stig.  I think my daughter would love drawing the tune to on it.  I would consider one of them if I could find the acrylic cheaper. 

I would like to do a rgb led triks panel someday that would also serve as a tune to sign.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

dandyman

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, »
Hey, thestig...

I love your sign... can you provide a few more details... what color 'chalk' did you use? Are you going to paint the back black? do the pixels sit on the edge of the plexiglass?

thanks !!

Dan

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, »
Very cool signs!!

Just make sure its big enough for your location ... if viewers have to drive up close to read it, it actually can cause traffic problems or just be a constant annoyance to the viewers.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, »
This is what I will do.  You can find people online that will do this for you:

Offline thestig

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, »
Hey, thestig...

I love your sign... can you provide a few more details... what color 'chalk' did you use? Are you going to paint the back black? do the pixels sit on the edge of the plexiglass?

thanks !!

Dan

The back of the sign (second piece) is going to be painted black. I am interested to see If i can get it to fit in that sign holder that biscuit used as his sign has the same dimensions. The led flex strip is facing against the end of the plexiglass shining through the edge into the entire piece. I have flex strip wrapped around the entire piece.

Somebody mentioned the plexiglass being expensive and I somewhat agree. I think the total cost to build the sign will be around 100 dollars including the rgb dumbstrip, rgb controller, plexiglass sheets and sign holder. I only used half of the flex strip too so I will have to find another use for the rest of it. If you are currently using pixenet and the hub you could do this even cheaper by only needing the DSC controller and the flex strips I bought off ebay.

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, »
Here is a few more pictures of the pixel based sign.

Offline thestig

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, »
Looks nice dpitts. I am a fan of coro. I need to pick some it up and play around with it one of these days.

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, »
Hey, thestig...

thanks !!

Dan

NICEEEE!!!

added to the wish list that will never get done....

The back of the sign (second piece) is going to be painted black. I am interested to see If i can get it to fit in that sign holder that biscuit used as his sign has the same dimensions. The led flex strip is facing against the end of the plexiglass shining through the edge into the entire piece. I have flex strip wrapped around the entire piece.

Somebody mentioned the plexiglass being expensive and I somewhat agree. I think the total cost to build the sign will be around 100 dollars including the rgb dumbstrip, rgb controller, plexiglass sheets and sign holder. I only used half of the flex strip too so I will have to find another use for the rest of it. If you are currently using pixenet and the hub you could do this even cheaper by only needing the DSC controller and the flex strips I bought off ebay.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, »
Here is a few more pictures of the pixel based sign.

dpitts, is this sign made completely out of coro?

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, »
Yes the black part is all one piece. I then glue two pieces of white (it is what i had laying around, could be single piece) on the inside to cover characters that are cut in the black coro. I screwed it together with large drywall anchors that have threads on the outside of anchor and a phillips head ti screw them into wall or in this case the coro.