Author Topic: Looking to buy some new cutters, what do you think of these?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Hi Folks,

as the title states: I have been using my cutters since trade school back in 1984. I think its time to replace them and I was looking at this one. Wondering if shearing is better?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
I am no professional on shears but the Cooper Tools "Xcelite" 170M works great for me at 1/3 the price.

Cuts everything like butter.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Cool

many thanks

The link I posted was just the first one I came across

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
We use the xuron cuttors in model railroading and everyone swears by them.  But the real question is what are you cutting?  sheet metal, small ga wire, lg ga wire, sheet vinyl, pvc?????  Different materials often cut best with different shears?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
We use the xuron cuttors in model railroading and everyone swears by them.  But the real question is what are you cutting?  sheet metal, small ga wire, lg ga wire, sheet vinyl, pvc?????  Different materials often cut best with different shears?

Just cutting leads after soldering parts to pcb (ie: ssc and hubs when they are sent out)

Rick R.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I use plain old side cutters bought from Walmart, or HD, or Lowes, etc for cutting electrical wires.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
I use plain old side cutters bought from Walmart, or HD, or Lowes, etc for cutting electrical wires.

Yeah I know that, I am looking for something different like what bcstuff posted

Rick R.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
There is a 2-pack of small precision tools like you are looking for (1-cutter and 1-plier) at Home Depot ... and they are about $10-12 for the 2-pack ... and are the BEST tools ... I use them for everything on these DIY projects.  They are high quality and american made tools.  Super awesome at cutting off leads on boards and the pliers are amazing.  They are found in the tool shack section of HD, near where they have the vice grips.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tpctech

There is a 2-pack of small precision tools like you are looking for (1-cutter and 1-plier) at Home Depot ... and they are about $10-12 for the 2-pack ... and are the BEST tools ... I use them for everything on these DIY projects.  They are high quality and american made tools.  Super awesome at cutting off leads on boards and the pliers are amazing.  They are found in the tool shack section of HD, near where they have the vice grips.

I also use the Cutter / plier set from HD.  They are made by Cresent and have orange handles.  They don't work for larger gauge wire I have actually broke a pair!  For larger wire I like the Ideal stripper and cutter.  They have 2 sizes one is like 20 awg to 16 awg and the other is 16 awg to 10 awg.  The small guage cutter used to have red handles and the larger Yellow. My recent pair has the same color handle.  I ended up marking the small set with red heatshrink. That way you grap the correct one!  I have be using the ideals since I working in the automation business back in the 80's!

my 2 cents!!

KEN

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
There are what mine look like (they look red to me).

I also do use a red and yellow handle klein wire stripper.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Hi Guys,

I did get the Home Depot 2 pack. I was there dropping my son off for work and decided to walk around the store.

Thank for all of the suggestions

Rick R.