Author Topic: The software's here!!!!!  (Read 1930 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
The software's here!!!!!
« on: December 22, 2012, »
Without really mentioning too much into the names of the software piece's

The sequencing software is getting easier ans easier to use to design a lot of rgb channels.

It's making sequencing a lot more fun!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
The software's here!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, »
??? Tell more
Sebastian from California

Offline SteveMaris

Re: The software's here!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, »
Why bring it up in the first place, if you aren't going to mention what it is?  ???
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, »
Why bring it up in the first place, if you aren't going to mention what it is?  ???

My guess too much solder fumes this past year and now he is getting snow

LOL

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, »
 <la..  That, and lack of sleep..
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, »
I wanted to point out some of the software really is helping without sounding like ads.

Like, you have to admit, we're better off than we were a year or two ago.

Nutcracker
new xlights
RGB Helper for Vixen

those are the ones i use.

but people still use
LSP
LOR
HLS
LightElf

and a few others

my point is it's a lot easier than it used to be!

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, »
And it will only get easier.  Some of the things that Nutcracker is trying to do to help sequence RGB lighting is driving others to do the same.  DowdyBrown has been working closely with us to improve xlights and has come up with effects generators that are just amazing.  This will push the others (LSP, LOR, HLS, etc.) to also look for similar things as people want the ease of sequencing what is near impossible (and darn difficult) to sequence using the traditional piano roll grid.  I expect the industry to move away from grid and more like something that we are doing at NC and xlights.

I am positive that the next year will bring even more innovation to include:  Multiple phrasing for a sequence so that you can assign different phrases to different elements, more effects with more options and more control, improved transitions between effects, real-time editing of effects, better show design tools, and much much more. (Note: I am speaking industry here, not specifically NC or xlights)

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, »
And it will only get easier.  Some of the things that Nutcracker is trying to do to help sequence RGB lighting is driving others to do the same.  DowdyBrown has been working closely with us to improve xlights and has come up with effects generators that are just amazing.  This will push the others (LSP, LOR, HLS, etc.) to also look for similar things as people want the ease of sequencing what is near impossible (and darn difficult) to sequence using the traditional piano roll grid.  I expect the industry to move away from grid and more like something that we are doing at NC and xlights.

I am positive that the next year will bring even more innovation to include:  Multiple phrasing for a sequence so that you can assign different phrases to different elements, more effects with more options and more control, improved transitions between effects, real-time editing of effects, better show design tools, and much much more. (Note: I am speaking industry here, not specifically NC or xlights)

Kurt
Gotta love it.

Offline rm357

The software's here!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, »
By trying to not make it sound like an ad, you make it sound like an add.

All I want is the facts, not the hype, not attempts to build excitement or undue curiosity, just the facts.

I don't want to hear, it's the best software ever created to whatever...
 I want a list of features and examples of how easy it is to use.

Thanks for telling me nothing. I think I'll go eat breakfast now...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
The software's here!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, »
Did someone pee in his cornflakes?

Deep breaths.  This year has been a huge learning curve for everyone.  Lots if choices out there.  Best not to confuse newbies and encourage them to try all sorts of options out there.  I have access to most of them for that very fact.  My goal this coming year is to actually all if them and see which works best for my inadequate brain capacity.  Easier the better....time is if the essence and 2012 flew by.  I'm still an infant in regards to this stuff; dabbling in RGB but not implementing it.

Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, »
I want a list of features and examples of how easy it is to use.

Nutcracker
With a small number of clicks (especially when using an effect already created) you can have a large count rgb device (like a mega tree) programmed to do amazing things for a good chunk of time.

new xlights
text on a matrix

RGB Helper for Vixen
LSP -like color fades made easy

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, »
I think this year with rgb reminded us blinky folk there are 2 areas that need to be concerned with.  Sequencing and playback.  Some tools work better at one or another.  Although mine isn't a part of my show, I think the conductor will be a key piece for a decent sized rgb display. 

I think 2013 will bring better beat based (say that fast) solutions.  Not sure if that means away from the grid or not.  That said, so far I've been impressed with how well lights are syncing in the vids posted already than from the past. 

I think LSP gets a bad rap since it is a business and not diy freeware but I love it.  Sure it is nor perfect but I cannot imagine blinky without it.  I would elaborate but don't want to sound like an ad. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, »
I think this year with rgb reminded us blinky folk there are 2 areas that need to be concerned with.  Sequencing and playback.  Some tools work better at one or another.  Although mine isn't a part of my show, I think the conductor will be a key piece for a decent sized rgb display. 

I think 2013 will bring better beat based (say that fast) solutions.  Not sure if that means away from the grid or not.  That said, so far I've been impressed with how well lights are syncing in the vids posted already than from the past. 

I think LSP gets a bad rap since it is a business and not diy freeware but I love it.  Sure it is nor perfect but I cannot imagine blinky without it.  I would elaborate but don't want to sound like an ad. 

Agreed!  And sequencing seems to be a multi-faceted thing in the community right now (with lots of choices, steps, and styles).  Playback has been contentious in the community having folks with varying degrees of success with various software packages. 

LSP is great, I particularly like their ability to control the show with a video overlay, which helps with area effects and massive color sweeps.  It will be interesting to see where LSP goes in their next release, as each release of their product seems to add more bells and whistles.  I am not a huge fan of their move towards pushing the Minleon hardware suite, however, I totally understand -- from a marketing perspective -- why they are doing this.   I just hope they do not neglect the other users of non-Minleon equipment (which they have always supported, so we are probably going to continue to feel the love from them!)  I have always wanted to try some of their features (like Wii control, and the like) but haven't really had a need to go into that area yet. 

A small concern I have is the growing file sizes for the large channel counts, however, this is a minor concern as the PC hardware seems to grow in capability and will probably keep pace with the growing file sizes of the LSP sequence files.  I know the MSQ file is zipped with 7zip so they are trying to keep these files in check.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

The software's here!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, »
I think I came across wrong in my earlier post.

I'm not mad or upset, but when i see "the new software is here" i expect useful information.
If I want hype, I'll turn on the news... :-)

I really don't like it when people do things to build interest and excitement in something when there is no substance.

Having said that, great strides have been made in the software that is available to us... Xlights, nutcracker, vixen, LSP, HLS... Things have come a long way since I started about 3 years ago. It's an exciting time in light animation and I'm looking forward to what the next year will bring.

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, »
well, i meant the hype is due...

remember two years ago when everyone was complaining about the software's not easy to handle these growing amounts of channels by the thousands?
well, we can stop complaining.

Nutcracker really is an added  blessing to any of the software packages we use.

For example, I have no talent in video design, or even much talent in photoshop, yet, i can browse an effect that someone else has made, and tweak it to fit my tree relatively well, then place the effect into my sequencing software. Now for a brief moment in time, my element is responding in a cool way that would have taken me hours and hours (using any sequencing software) to even get one channel to remote do anything even similar.