Author Topic: Silver Ridge Christmas 2012  (Read 761 times)

Offline travailen

Silver Ridge Christmas 2012
« on: January 15, 2013, »
This is my show for 2012. It turned out to be a “test of concepts” show. The eves, arches and candy canes are RGB. Everything else is mostly incans with some LEDs here and there. The eves are smart strings taped to ¾ white PVC and held in place with the clips recommended on another thread. The clips hold OK but I added tie wraps to the clips for added security. The SSCs are about 8 inches from each eve segment. Cat 5 runs to the hub inside the house.
I messed up my RGB programming struggling with LSP so the whole show runs on last years DMX sequencing some of which was modified to run the eves, arches and candy canes. Each eve SSC is set for DMX channel 1 and are programmed as Hybrids. If you watch carefully you can see the candy cane programming showing up on the eves. Well, it was better than nothing.
The candy canes are all from Wal-Mart over the last several years. This year they were each retrofitted with 12 RGB nodes and connected with Rays 3 pin water-proof connectors.  Each set of 8 candy canes was run by one SSC set for groupings of 12.
The arches are clear tubes 10 feet long and filled with two 90 node smarts strings, One facing up and one facing down.  They have hooks at each  end and are held in tension by a piece of banding strap with D rigs on each end.  They are tie wrapped at each end to pieces of rebar pushed into the ground. I am totally happy with the arches.
The arches and candy canes are controlled by SSCs that are grouped in water proof storage containers just behind each of their locations. Each storage container has a power supply, a hub and the SSCs.  I used the 18/3 wire from Ray to connect from the arches and candy canes to their enclosures. The length of the wires from the SSCs to the arches were 14 feet, 20 feet and 25 feet for each side. For the candy canes the length to each group was 10 feet and 20 feet for each side. As far as I can tell, I have had no problems using this method. There are no null nodes used in any wires.
The show was run by a conductor that ran flawlessly from 5:30PM to 10:30PM every night from Dec 12th to Jan 4th. This is my third year. This the first year I have had NO problems with the show scheduling or component failures.
Next year there will be lots more RGB nodes and no non water proof connections of any kind.
Thanks to RJ and all the rest of you for helping me out. There was a few times this year that I thought there would be no show. Without your help, that likely would have been the case.

Rick S

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, by travailen »

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: Silver Ridge Christmas 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, »
Great show. The arches look really bright and clear. Very impressive the whole show.

Offline kevr

• Little Gem Lights
Re: Silver Ridge Christmas 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, »
Great show Rick, for me it's all about the arch's and you have used yours really well.

Kev :-)
Grandad get the lights ready