Author Topic: display elements that may not be standard...  (Read 2682 times)

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
Re: display elements that may not be standard...
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, »
I'm working on a 10' Santa/Uncle Sam/Halloween pumpkin.  No one else has done anything like this so I'm working out the details.  It will be very animated.  Once it is complete, I'll get some videos up....hopefully by Halloween.

I see people with wooden signs and lights on the signs for information (radio station/etc.)  I think an old TV (free) off Craigslist that is hooked up to a computer could display the information better.  If the TV craps out, get another free one....That's what I'm doing.  I saw a 65" that needed $75 worth of repairs on Craigslist the other day.  That is overkill, but there it is.  A projecter could do the same, but it isn't as cheap as free.

Or, you could do LED signs like this.  There are bigger ones too.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you live in Florida, a snow machine is pretty cool.  It's actually a soap bubble machine, but that is the best you can do with the temperatures we have.

One other thing is not directly display related, but should be part of you display is protection of your equipment and property.  You should have cameras and barriers to keep people off you property.  I've been through law school and the thought of some kid coming onto my property and getting hurt makes me cringe....I hear a lawsuit....Make a reasonable effort to keep people off your property and then add to your TV sign above that they should stay off your property too.

One last note, the simpler the better.  KISS.  Many displays I see have a hodgepodge of stuff.  Look at these two videos which are by far the most popular.  They are simple, yet well choreographed.  The number of lights is not what makes your show, it is how much you work on your show and how you present it that makes it better.  In the second light show, the guy said he takes 15 hours for every minute of song.  That is how you get to have a good display.