Author Topic: CAT5 cable  (Read 610 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
CAT5 cable
« on: January 04, 2012, »
I figured i'd put this here, since it didn't have to do with selling or trading...

there are other advantages of having it, but I've come up with some good reasons for using stranded cat5 cable already pre made...

Disclaimer:  I didn't add this as the definitive knowledge on cat5 cabling, just pointers for you to think about when you're building your show, or planning wiring.
I'm positive there are more positives, as well as negatives to using stranded (already made) cables vs the others...

as a computer guy, i'm tempted at times to grab my box of solid wire and crimp my own ends on, but...

solid cable will break sooner than stranded.
solid cable was designed to be put in a wall, and left in that position, and not moved around.

stranded cable is more flexible (expecially in colder weather)
can be coiled up, and used for next year, and next year, and....

ok, the next part...
for those of you that crimp your own cable, take a look at the ends... 
the part you just pushed the 8 conductors in, has this open cavity that water can seep in and get to your conductors.
this would be especially important on the plugs that go into the pigtail on the ssc (we don't want that to short out)

even if you use the "boots" that go on the cable, they aren't waterproof.

now,
 if you look at a cable you bought, (like from monoprice)  that cavity is filled (either with epoxy, or the plastic material that their cable end is made of. it's more resistant to water on that side.

EDIT: fixed typos  : )
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Mimir

Re: CAT5 cable
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, »
Another reason especially when putting your own end on is that they are designed for stranded wire. If you use them with solid wire, you will not make as reliable a connection.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: CAT5 cable
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, »
They make crimp ends for stranded cable
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!