Author Topic: Another part about not being a business...  (Read 1254 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Another part about not being a business...
« on: January 19, 2012, »
...is that with a forum, we're a community. they don't expect you to stop in, go through the mandatory one msg intro, get your stuff, and then you're on your way.

it's about getting together and sharing ideas on the blinky.

that one post requirement wasn't a loophole, it's to get you to start talking on here. after you build something and it works, make a post (like here, in the porch)   I'm sure you'll at least get a few congrats!, or way to go!

if things don't work, post in the troubleshooting area.  many of us have had trouble getting something to work, and some might even had the same problem you're expierencing. no one has ever been ridiculed for the way they soldered something. And there are so many people that can help, that you should have a faster response than PM'ing an individual person.

most of us, got involved with the blinky flashy (either halloween, or christmas light shows) that they saw someone else doing. Participate in the many conversations that go on here, and you won't be disappointed! hey, just b/c you're new, and haven't done this before, doesn't mean that you don't have great ideas for a display. everyone has something to offer.

maybe you want to try something, but aren't sure how to do it. Step on out of that 1 post shell, and see if someone can offer advice!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Slite

• Blinky Blinky Lights
Re: Another part about not being a business...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, »
That  <la..
Blinky Blinky Lights!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, »
I agree 100%,

I will bore you with a story if you let me.

I remember a new user on a forum about holiday light animation that joined one night right after Christmas one year. He signed up and began to read the forums and found it very interesting to him and saw it would help him do what he wanted to do. The good point was, unlike many of the new users in a forum this guy was anything but shy and as soon as he understand enough after doing some reading, he jumped in and ordered a spare pcb from one of the members. A week and a half later he had all the stuff and it was built and working. He by then was fairly active on the forum and was in the chat most nights. So one night right after he finished this controller he spoke up and described an idea he had, He said "I can design a new controller to replace this one with only 4 chips on it,  the people on the forum seem to doubt his idea could be done but seem to like the idea of it any way. And as it turned out the idea was done in about a month and everyone loved it. It cut the work to build a controller that could do the same thing with the same channel count from maybe 8 hours to maybe 45 minutes. It cut the cost form about $65 to maybe $25. The pcbs went out in droves.

This original device?  The 595 controller
the new device? The Grinch.
The newbie? Some idiot named RJ.
the rest history!

So the moral here of the story was this. You never know when your crazy newbie idea may be the next big thing in the hobby. But if you join and just lurk without being active and just wait to buy things cheap it may never happen. Even if everyone thinks your idea is stupid, I was told using DMX on a diy controller was stupid.  I was told DLA would not make a month and we would be lucky to get 10 users. Heck a few people told me the original Lynx DMX controller would not work when there were shows on two sides of the planet running them(RJ & Kiwi). Never let anyone tell you that it can not be done or it will not work or no one will want it. Take a risk once in a while and stick your neck out just a little. Open up and get involved. You will never know what you are missing if you don't.

And have fun don't get uptight cause as I alway use to say "Its just blinky blinky!"

RJ 
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, »
congrats and way to go Chris  <res.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, »
just don't be a big mouth, like me!    lol    (1300 posts and climbing) and i started LAST January!

J/K
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, »
I seem to remember one night a chat between you and RJ talking about an idea for a modification for the aeon clock here for another use and RJ's suggestion and support being voiced.  That is what makes this a community and a forum unlike the others I've ventured too...it's the members helping other members and supporting them and helping them that makes DLA one of the top notch places to get into and grow the hobby. 

Duane

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, »
@ RJ- Thank you for sharing your story. It helps us all understand where your coming from and gets people grounded as to what is really important.
Sebastian from California

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, »
So if I might ask RJ.  How long ago was it when you got started?

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, »
The awesome part of all this is the passion that is coming from the members here.  Being new still and reading through the many threads revolving around this subject it is cool to see this.  Thanks to everyone who have shared and helped me and more so to RJ for all the things you do in your "spare" time!

Mark - Georgia
- Mark

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, »
Thanks to everyone who have shared and helped me and more so to RJ for all the things you do in your "spare" time!

Mark - Georgia

RJ has no spare time!  ;)  <res.

Offline winwin

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, »
Well, I have been thinking about doing a display for years. I enjoy doing things on my own but do have the knowledge to built from scratch so I was thrilled when I discovered this community. Haven't had a chance to participate much as I have not yet build a board but read a lot. Some of the discussions are way above my head! The amount of info shared on this site is humongous and knowledge of the folks tremendous. The most amazing thing is the obvious willingness of the members to help. So a big thank you to all!
AL.

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, »
RJ...greats words of wisdom.

Coming from the complete newbie idiot....myself.

I want to get my hands on as many pieces of hardware.  Find out how they work, what they work on, and blow the family budget....kidding.  I'm not afraid to jump in, just needing some excellent guidance.

I see that there is a huge following in the state of Texas.  Does anyone know of group activities taking place in southern CA or even AZ?

I prefer to see things in action face to face, or have someone show me just how lost I am by their trials.

Mike H (AZ newbie)
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."