Author Topic: lights / nodes along the edge of the roof.  (Read 2535 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
lights / nodes along the edge of the roof.
« on: March 27, 2012, »
for those that have lights along the edge of their roof i have a few questions. I'm planning on actually putting lights on the house this year, and trying to get a feel for what others have done.

1.) what type of light did you use? (smart string nodes, other nodes, C7's or 9's, minis, icycle lights, flex strip)
2.) what spacing between the lights did you use, and would you change it if you could?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline keitha43

Re: lights / nodes along the edge of the roof.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, »
Since I still can't afford RGB along my roofline yet I still use cdi c7 led strings. I have them in red, blue, and green. I offset the strands by 2 inches which left room for a 4th color I never used. I have them stapled to furring strips from Home Depot/Lowes. Along the edge of the roof I screwed some of those plastic shingle tabs made for c9's that have the v shape that goes under the shingles. On the rest of the roof I bent some metal strips into an inverted V shape and attached to the strips and had strings from the ends of the V go to more of the shingle tabs to prevent the wind from lifting the furring strip. Someday I will replace those with some kind of RGB.

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, »
If i had the money i would you dumb flex strips zip tied to pvc controlled by the mr16 or the upcoming SSC.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, by sebjsan »
Sebastian from California

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, »
On the peaks of the house I used simulated C9's which are a controlled string of long mini icans with C9 sized covers.  The spacing is what it is and I think it's about 4 inches per bulb.   Anywhere there was a gutter I used standard LED multicolor strings along the gutter and white to blue ican icicle lights hanging below them.  The lights on the window frames are multi color ican mini's.  The lights on the window frames and the peaks are held up by eye hooks screwed into the trim and the lights on the gutters are held up by gutter clips. 

Next year or rather this year I am hoping to replace the lighs on the peaks and frames with smart strings.  I also intend to replace the controllers on the icicles with DMX controllers. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Mimir

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, »
I bought some dumb rgb flex strips that I am going to control with the mr16s.  I am going to mount them on the fascia of the house. Not sure yet which way I am going to mount them. I am leaning towards using pvc and zip tying to some hooks

Sent from my Motorola Atrix2

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, »
I have 4 colors of LED C9s that outline my entire roof. Spacing is about 2-3 inches apart. I have been trying to figure out an easier way to put them up.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, »
for blinky terms, what do you guys call the edge of the roof where the shingles meet the facia?   and what do you call the highest pint of the roof, where one side of shingles meet another side of shingles?

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, »
Speaking for myself only. The entire outline of my includes Eves (front edge), edges (side eves) and peaks (top of the roof). So if all are on you see a square, or 3 squares in my case.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, by rdebolt »

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, »
as ar as using smart strings nodes, would 6 inches between nodes seem ok, or should i try a closer gap?

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, »
Go to smart strings in forum, and under this post: Can I hang Smart String nodes along gutter?   There are pics of what it looks like with 3" spacing

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
as ar as using smart strings nodes, would 6 inches between nodes seem ok, or should i try a closer gap?

Here again it is personal preference and I would think that 6" would be fine, but 4" would give you better coverage..... and a higher budget!

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, »
I am getting all of the things I need togeather, then I will start drilling holes  :) And  I agree the spacing can tax the budget  :o

Offline zwiller

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, »
Spacing is something I am researching and testing.  I think there are 2 styles of spacing IMO.  Classic spacing to me is 6" or 12". Typically for c7/c9.  Modern spacing is 3" for led stuff since it has less output.  I think this has a more linear look almost like neon from street distance.  I think 6" spacing of SS would be doable but 12" would be best for modules not individual nodes.  What it boils down to is balance of output.  If you string your roof line with ss on 12" centers and have 400 ct mini trees on the lawn, the roof line will not stand out as well. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, »
i'm trying to convert as much as i can to rgb led as well as add new rgb led   so maybe 4" or even 3" would be best?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, »
When you get some nodes, hang them up and see if you like them.  If you do then you are good to go.  If not, then you can alter the spacing but take into account that increasing the spacing between them is A LOT OF WORK, especially for the lenghts that you will be working with.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving