Author Topic: Time spent on sequencing  (Read 2256 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: Time spent on sequencing
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sequencing is one of my favorite parts. I spend about 18-20 hours for a 3 minute song. I will have about 300+ channels this year.

i wish i could say it only took 18-20 hours for a 3 minute song! lol i spent about 50 hours on wizards in winter but this is also my first year and that was my first song i worked from scratch. i saved routines and stuff so the next one(working on now) should go faster.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Time spent on sequencing
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, »
I've spent less and less time sequencing each year .   I'm not sure how much is experience or the software getting better (or both) ... But I've also learned that less is often more.   I have a dueling banjos sequence from a friend .... And it's very popular (probably the most) .... And a good portion of that sequence is random.    On the other hand, on other sequences I've meticulously mapped out every note and beat .... And many of those turned out only Average at best.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, »
I like to keep it this way...

Think less about minute detail
and more on general effect.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Time spent on sequencing
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, »
Right ... And work in display item groups  across space.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline zwiller

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, »
Sure, more time doesn't always mean a better sequence but it all depends on the programmer's (artist) ability to use his tools.  To me, a perfect sequence comes together when the programmer already has in his or her mind how the sequence should play out and the programming is merely storing the data of what in the programmer's mind.  If you are staring at your pc with no ideas and expecting it do it for you you are in trouble.

There are also different display styles or types.  More lights, less action.  More action, less lights.  And the very rare magic combo of just enough of each.  Not sure if this ones has been posted before, but I stumbled upon this and I think it is very close to the style I prefer.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Maybe a bit more action than lights.  Lots of wow type special effects.  Like the double time thing around 50 secs. 

In the end, it's all subjective and art.  Each person has their own interpretation.  IE I personally don't care for multi channel rgb mega trees. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, »
Thats some amazing sequencing!  Talk about showing off!

I've given up any hope of doing something like that ...

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, »
I've given up any hope of doing something like that ...

Ditto  :'(

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, »
3 sequences for a 4800 channel smartstring megatree (16 strings of 100 smart strings):

About 1 hour to do the phrasing in audacity for the 3 songs
About 1 hour to do the effects for the phrases in Nutcracker
About 1 hour to decide which effects go with what phrase
About 2 hours to generate and tweek

Done!

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, »
I had to post and would agree with at least 10 hours for a 3 minute song however find myself spending much longer.

I finished a 20 minute long song, 160 channels, it took me from about March - October. I am particular with my programming though and try to hit all of the beats. Yes I am crazy and have been planning this the whole year!

And in regards to the two styles of programming, I refer to them in two ways;

All ON and turning items off/changing them to the beat of the music

or

All OFF and turning every item on for a purpose.

Just a humble opninion

Zac

Offline devoidelk

• North western Indiana, 47960
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, »
I just pick a channel and close my eyes as the vixen countdown begins and click ctrl when I "feel" it while the music plays.