Author Topic: Lights and Wildlife  (Read 877 times)

Offline inzeos

Lights and Wildlife
« on: September 27, 2010, »
Sometimes that pretty little blinky might confuse the local wildlife :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Greg

Re: Lights and Wildlife
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, »
Well at least the bulb wasn't damaged   ;D

Last year I had a terrible problem with rabbits biting off amber bulbs and squirrels chewing wires is a perennial problem for my display.  :(

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline inzeos

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, »
Thankfully the rabbits and squirrels have not bothered my lights yet.

Where I live we get annually on average around 104" of snow, which probably deters them from playing around with anything but finding food or sleeping the winter away.

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, »
Don't feed the rabbits Light strings, they do better with Lettuce and carrots.  LOL ... OK so it isn't that far off from the truth.  Rabbits like to eat so you can distract from your lights, by raising your lights and or putting food out for them away from your display.

Squirrels I have a very good relationship with now.  Our first year together they got about 40,00 lights and strings. 

I had a nature guy come out "A squirrel expert" and he explained the lights and strings looked a lot like twigs and stuff a squirrel would build with to a squirrel.

The squirrel was protecting his territory by destroying"my nest building"  he then went on to say that if I moved it away a bit the squirrel would likely let them alone.  So that is what I did I moved my stuff to the outsides of the trees and left the inside clear for the Resident squirrels, I never had another light go out because of a squirrel.  now I don't decorate where the squirrels are.

OR a 22 works well too? 
Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL