Author Topic: RGB Pixel and DMX Decoder Testing  (Read 2686 times)

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
RGB Pixel and DMX Decoder Testing
« on: June 07, 2010, »
I requested and received some samples of RGB Pixel Nodes and a DMX "decoder" box from the manufacturers in China.  I did some preliminary testing, with promising results.  The discussion is at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: RGB Pixel and DMX Decoder Testing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, »
Hi John,

That looks great.

Is that the box that does 360 channels?

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, »
Yes Rick... it's supposed to do 120 RGB Pixels with the LPD56803 IC inside... that makes 360 channels.

John
John

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, »
Hi John,

I was thinking that some folks might not know what this post is all about.

I can fill in some basics but let me know if I miss something.

The first photo is a sample RGB lights with a chip in it so a dmx decoder can tell it what color you want it. One decoder can do 120 lights (called nodes). The decoder is a dmx device that has 360 channels needed to control 120 nodes. The first node in the string is equal to the start address of the decoder box and each following nodes address increases by one.

This is a diy version of the LOR CCR (Cosmic Color Ribbon) or D-lights Firefly at a much cheaper cost per node. This is still in testing and there are some concerns about how water tight the nodes are. The decoder has no water proofing in it.

So in a nut shell. With the decoder and nodes you have 120 individual control lights with about 32k color choices.

If you been watching LSP updates there is a big push for RGB and also Vixen has some RGB function but no where near LSP.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, »
Update!

Member Tabor at auschristmaslighting.com received new toys from Ray Wu's store today.  He got a bunch of RGB Nodes and two LT6803 decoders.  There is a great first video of them in action at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Check it out!

John

[edit:  corrected link]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, by ThaiWay »
John

Offline occhristmas

• Christmas in the O.C.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, »
I noticed that your samples came from Rightleds - unfortunately, these are not waterproof.  I found out the hard way!  The effects of the rain can be seen in the videos of my last year display.  The first night it rained, the pixels no longer worked properly.  The controller/power supply was enclosed in waterproof enclosures, but the pixels were supposed to be waterproof and were not.  But, they were so beautiful when they worked though!

But, what is exciting to me is that these can be controlled with DMX - I asked the sales associate over and over if they had any DMX controllers that would control these pixels.  I was told that they did not...so that stopped my emails.  I simply ran these using the proprietary controller I purchased from them, with their software to save the programs to the SD card - which limited the control I had over the pixels.  Now that you guys have tested these with DMX equipment, I have some questions:

1.  Are these considered 2 wire smart dmx?  Up until now, I only know sequencing with LOR software and their idmx to speak to the Lynx Express and MR16 controllers, so I only really know how to sequence dmx fixtures using rows (3 channels per pixel).

2.  Would the connection sequence be USB to Idmx to the decoder and then the pixels? 

3.  If they are self addressing, would I just count the number of pixels I have and divide them into R Channel, G Channel, B Channel per pixel in the software?   

4.  I am also curious if anyone has tried the Master/Slave controllers offered by multiple sources from China - for example, I would like like to purchase a pixel screen that uses a dvi controller.  How would I incorporate all of these different sources?  Traditional DMX, like the Lynx Express, and the pixels?

5.  Have any of you tried the Stream technology?  Mag-Led.com seems to have some smart technology - and I am very interested in learning more about the Smart Stream.

Any tips/advice from those of you who have tried the rgb technologies from China would be very much appreciated! 

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, »
This is a post and video of the pixels and DMX controller in action running through LSP 1.7 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There has been a lot of discussion and pelimenary testing of these pixel strings and controllers done over at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

[Edit] Looks like you found the forum anyway is see.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience