Author Topic: Solder Irons (Best for What we do)  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Christmas.joe

• Listen To Those Lights!
Re: Solder Irons (Best for What we do)
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I asked the same thing a couple of months ago and RJ referred me to this one:

I got it and love it.  Only one issue is the lame excuse for a sponge, but a replacement is easily DIY'd from a cheap kitchen sponge.

They have other choices like non digital version etc.

Hope that helps.

-JS

I was really eyeballing this MPJA Model 302A and I think I'm going for it based on the reasonable price.  I know how to solder pretty good, but I don't think I need an industrial strength, just one that will do a few kits and some other small electronic jobs.  The price seems to be in my target and I was just wondering are you still happy with it?  I'm really considering it for the price.  One other question; does it display Celsius & Fahrenheit?
First Live Show 2011 Success Is Good!
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, »
I asked the same thing a couple of months ago and RJ referred me to this one:

I got it and love it.  Only one issue is the lame excuse for a sponge, but a replacement is easily DIY'd from a cheap kitchen sponge.

They have other choices like non digital version etc.

Hope that helps.

-JS

I was really eyeballing this MPJA Model 302A and I think I'm going for it based on the reasonable price.  I know how to solder pretty good, but I don't think I need an industrial strength, just one that will do a few kits and some other small electronic jobs.  The price seems to be in my target and I was just wondering are you still happy with it?  I'm really considering it for the price.  One other question; does it display Celsius & Fahrenheit?

That is the one I got and it seemed to work well for me. It displays in Celsius and I didn't see any way to change it. I had to laugh though, it included a replacement heating  element, but I scanned through the directions and to replace it, you have to solder it.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, »
I bought a blackjack and have been very pleased with it.

Here is a popular model:

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, »
   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login         I also use the one RJ suggested and have built 12 LE's and 2 dongles and 12 EX/RX and love it , RJ suggested to solder at 360 C and it solders well.
Jeff

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, »
Can someone tell me what the roller is for at the top of the station that holds the iron? Is it to hold the solder roll? If so do any of you actually use it, when I was working I just held the roll in my left hand and the iron in my right and seemed to work out well for me. I have a vice to hold the pcb.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, »
Yes, its for holding the roll of solder on.  I use it most of the time.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]