Author Topic: Attic search yields cache of multi's, what to do...  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Greg

So it was 3:30am this morning and rather than sleep, what am I doing?  Rumaging through a dark and seldom visited corner of the attic only to discover a forgotten cache of mini's from the famous after Christmas clearance at Wal-Mart a few years ago.  A receipt tucked in one case shows I paid 45 cents per box (ah, those were the days...).

Anyway, here sits 3 cases (15,000 lights) of multi-color strings never used and no time to rearrange bulbs to make solid strings.  I've never used multi's in my display and naturally tend to think multi's lack impact for animation purposes.

Should I put them back in the attic till after this season?  Or does someone have any suggestions and/or examples of effective use of multi's in an animated display?

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Attic search yields cache of multi's, what to do...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, »
I had a similar idea to rearrange bulbs to make solid strings... I gave up after 10 minutes. :)

Then I was told that the different colors have different characteristics (voltages and amps) and combining all reds into one string, and all greens into another, will cause problems causing neither to work.  I don't recall the details, but it is something to investigate before going too far.

Steve
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, »
I am going up in the attic this weekend to start sorting and inventorying. I always find stuff that I forgot about.
I have done the rearranging on multis and the tips of my forefingers and thumbs were sore for days. Plus you end up with some wierd colors.
The incan minis won't have different voltages if they all came off the same string. They are all clear bulbs with paint on the outside. LEDs are different.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, »
I use multis on my roof as fill in for the other lights. I like a bright roof

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, »
I had a similar idea to rearrange bulbs to make solid strings... I gave up after 10 minutes. :)

Then I was told that the different colors have different characteristics (voltages and amps) and combining all reds into one string, and all greens into another, will cause problems causing neither to work.  I don't recall the details, but it is something to investigate before going too far.

Steve

I believe this only pertains to LED's. Incandescent are just painted glass?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, »

Steve

I believe this only pertains to LED's. Incandescent are just painted glass?
Right :)  I jumped right into LEDs and I sometimes forget about those days before I jumped.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tng5737

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, »
Perhaps you could use them with 'light stakes' to line a walkway or driveway.  They might also be userful on top of a fence.  Also, I would think that you could use them in trees with basic effects.  That would look pretty decent.  I wouldn't get too hung on their use.  Most people observing the show are just happy to see the lights blink!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, »
If you are taking donation offer one box per $1 donation as an incentive.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Greg

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, »
I have done the rearranging on multis and the tips of my forefingers and thumbs were sore for days. Plus you end up with some wierd colors.

John

Well I'm an old hand at doing the switcheroo on mini light bulbs.  The sore finger thing can be a real issue unless you are me.  I have a bulb press that I made a few years ago that completely negates the sore fingers.  I can de-bulb and repopulate a string in less than 20 minutes and no sore fingers, which is nice if I just had the time but I've discovered these too late in preparations.

You do need to color match the bulbs you're going to use or you can end up with weird color mixed strings.  With these that won't likely be an issue because they are all the same manufacturer lot.

Offline Greg

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, »
I use multis on my roof as fill in for the other lights. I like a bright roof

Cheers

Rick R.

Nice idea but my house has a very steep pitched, slick, un-walkable without specialized equipment, metal roof. Imagine the GFI issues, although anyone dumb enough to try walking up there deserves to be electrocuted so I wouldn't use GFI's on those circuits anyway.

If you are taking donation offer one box per $1 donation as an incentive.

Hmmm, That would be hard for me to do, it goes against every fiber of my light hording mentality.   ;)

I would think that you could use them in trees with basic effects.  That would look pretty decent.  I wouldn't get too hung on their use.  Most people observing the show are just happy to see the lights blink!

This is the only thing I could think of doing but I'd probably need another 20,000 or so to have it not look like the poor stepchild of the rest of the display.  I'll have to think on this some more.  I'm not concerned about what observers will think, its me that has to be satisfied with the result and that is a tough thing.

Greg
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, by Greg »

Offline rimist

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, »
I remember getting lights on clearance like that... my wife limited my purchase because the rampant circuit breaker pops and the burning smells, as well as the melted extension cords... 14 gauge extension cords melted at the ends and fused together and to outlets. Cutting off my lights was my major motivation to upgrade my circuit breaker panel.
- Rimist

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, »
How about using them at a Christmas Parade

Wrap the lights around yourself, spouse, kids, cat, dog, inlaws, etc  <fp.

In the How the Grinch Stole Christmas Movie, there was a who that had a light gun and shot the lights unto the roof and gutter. That might work for you. Maybe Clark Griswold could help you out, I hear he is great with a ladder and hanging up the lights.

LOL

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, »
I have a bulb press that I made a few years ago that completely negates the sore fingers.  I can de-bulb and repopulate a string in less than 20 minutes and no sore fingers, which is nice if I just had the time but I've discovered these too late in preparations.

Do you have pictures or a how to on that bulb press. I just took 5 multi strings apart to get the orange bulbs I needed for my singing pumpkin. I used a pair of craftsmen crimping pliers, it worked ok, but I don't think I was anywhere close to 20 minutes. Thanks for any ideas or pictures,

Bill

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, »
Well I'm an old hand at doing the switcheroo on mini light bulbs.  The sore finger thing can be a real issue unless you are me.  I have a bulb press that I made a few years ago that completely negates the sore fingers.  I can de-bulb and repopulate a string in less than 20 minutes and no sore fingers, which is nice if I just had the time but I've discovered these too late in preparations.

You do need to color match the bulbs you're going to use or you can end up with weird color mixed strings.  With these that won't likely be an issue because they are all the same manufacturer lot.

I, too, would be interested to see the bulb press.  The ingenuity of the people on here never ceases to amaze me!
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, »
HERE HERE! I have 1000 removable leds that I am going to  fill the sockets with dielectric grease so they do not rot. sound like this would be a big help