Author Topic: RGB Flex Strip  (Read 2839 times)

Offline mmais68569

RGB Flex Strip
« on: December 24, 2011, »
Did anyone use this flex RGB from Ray this year & if so did you have any problems. Also does anyone know what the AMP draw is when full on.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I am thinking of using these to replace my roof lights next year. I plan to run them with a MR16 with 4 strips per controller.

Mike

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: RGB Flex Strip
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, »
This looks like the item that CDI is offering this year on the pre-order.

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, »
CDI says IP67
Rays says IP68

What is the difference

Mike

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, »
About 70 dollars.

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, »
You are right Steve.

Mike

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, »
A reply on the LOR forum where I asked about the CDI item and one on eBay said the CDI item had a stiffer casing like a CCR.  These also look like they have a stiff casing but I have not been able to touch a CCR so I don't know.

If there no difference except half the price then it looks like it might be a good deal.

Offline dmoore

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, »
CDI says IP67
Rays says IP68

What is the difference

Mike

I think it's a safe bet that for many things related to Christmas lights, it's not safe at all to trust the IP ratings.  Unless you have a US vendor vouching for the quality of their items and ideally some proof to back it up, I would be suspect.  I'd recommend purchasing samples, doing your own testing and then demanding that you get the EXACT same item when you re-order (which even then is sometimes a problem).

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, »
I have used the 12-pixel strips with no problems. Can you run five strips with MR16? I am thinking of doing the same.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, »
I used the flex strips from Ray (the smart string flex strips) and they worked great as arches.

No issues with them, other than 1 pixel thats stuck on red and it doesn't affect overall performance or look.

Personally, I would not go with another option, as these are better than CCRs and at a fraction of the price.

I put mine into 5/8 clear tubing.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, »
I was considering those as well. For the price, they look good. Definitely considering them.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, »
I dont think either one of them are compat with the SSCs we use. 

Our flex strips from Ray:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

use the TM1809 ic  I think the others that are compat use the TM1804 ic.  Check the wiki for compat strings.

Myk

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, »
I dont think either one of them are compat with the SSCs we use. 

Our flex strips from Ray:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

use the TM1809 ic  I think the others that are compat use the TM1804 ic.  Check the wiki for compat strings.

Myk
I think he is aware they are different, but the ones he picked are much cheaper, but you will lose the individual pixel control. He may want to just have the whole string as one color though. I will warn you about that though, I put up the ones you can use with the smart string controllers, and having all of them on at once just makes it look like a solid line of color, so we usually ended up using every third or fourth pixel to make them look more like individual lights. Getting some that you can only control the string may be fine with you, but something to think about. Most strings of lights are 6 to 12 inches apart, these end up being 1 inch apart at 30 LEDs per meter.

Plus a lot of my sequences I did alternating colors, like a Red-Green alternating. You can't do that with the cheaper strips.

As for problems, I have 2 strands that I put around corners where I think I got something lose on them. 1 of the strand works all the way through, but it will occasionally get stuck and have to be power cycled and it starts working again. The other strand I lost the last 5 or 6 pixels on it, the rest of it works fine but those last ones just won't come on. So just be careful with bending them too far at any time.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, »
Ray's site I think does tell you the limits of corner/circle bending - i dont remember off the top of my head.  I did find a mfg for the 1809 chips - wonder if we can get someone here in the states to make them cheaper?

Didnt RJ say at his LSH presentation last fall that he was lining up a US mfg for the strings to get better quality?

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, »
Ray's site I think does tell you the limits of corner/circle bending - i dont remember off the top of my head.  I did find a mfg for the 1809 chips - wonder if we can get someone here in the states to make them cheaper?

Didnt RJ say at his LSH presentation last fall that he was lining up a US mfg for the strings to get better quality?
I knew not to bend them, but I had my roommate helping me hang them, and he hung those, and I told him not to bend them but he doesn't always listen. The other corners are done with more diameter to the circle and are fine. They are pretty resilient to bending though, just not to 90 degrees, and it depends on where you bend them too, I tried to just bend at the cut points if possible. Not where there were any components.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, »
Again ALL I want this lights to do at this time is to be Red, Green, & White. SS are nice but I do not at this time have the money for all the controllers or the will to program all the channels. These will be in a straight line so bends will not be an issue. Looks like this one from Ray is it.

Any more statements or problems please post.

Mike