Author Topic: RGB Flex Strip  (Read 2840 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: RGB Flex Strip
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, »
7.2w /m  * 5m = 36watts  /12v = 3AMPS@12v
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, »
um,   if he's poduct info is acurate   :o

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, »
Are these from Ray any different than the ones found on Ebay with similar light/length? I see 5050 5m with 30 leds per for 20-25 dollars shipped.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, »
Steve

I bought one of those & it burned out a channel on a Rainbow Brain & also on a MR16. Be careful of quality control, not that the ones from Ray maybe any better.

Mike

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, »
I know everyone has different needs ... I was just saying I think the smart string flex strips are a very good choice for providing maximum flexibility (long term) for a minimum cost.  I know you can save $20 on these other strips, but pick your poison ... I'm already invested in smart strings and pixelnet ... and where else can you build a fully RGB capable controller for 128 nodes for $10 ?  Yes, you do need a SS Hub and a pixelnet dongle or a Etherdongle ... but my SS Flex strip arches are getting as many compliments this year as anything I have added (incl. a spiral megatree)  ... and they were very easy to do, and are easy to program.  I broke them into 8 sections each (using groups) in LOR S3.  So of course, I highly recommend them.    Now granted, it doesn't rain where I live in December, so I don't have moisture issues than some might have experienced.  I think the options of pixel control are so much ... that going with string control only ... seems like a mistake unless you for sure know you never want to do more -- ever.  Just my $.02 worth ... and advise to hopefully save you money in the long run.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, »
That is good advice. Your arches look fantastic.
 A lot of this is confusing to me, but I have a year to figure it all out, and decide which way to go.
I am so happy I made it through my first year without a single issue. (112 channels LOR, LYNX, 30k lights, LOR software)

I was thinking about using "dumb" strips around my 8 windows and possibly across the roof line.
Seems like it would be more cost effective than purchasing 4 different color strings.
I was also thinking of controlling them with MR16's. When you say it burned out channels, do you know what caused it?

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, »
I am using these in a part of my show and while I am not controlling them off of an MR16, I will be adding some to do this next year.

I have a wall that I want to outline and just run a single color at a time.  These work well for that!   I will also be using some Pixel controlled strips, but those are better for things like arches, etc.

These strips are bright!  Oh, and it takes just over 3 amps at 12V to run 5 meters.

Have fun and enjoy.

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, »
Steve
"I was also thinking of controlling them with MR16's. When you say it burned out channels, do you know what caused it?"

The cheap strip off Ebay was wired wrong during MFG. I thought I was able to correct the problem but during testing it caused the problem. Also the strip was 60LED/M not 30LED/M so it may have also been pulling to many AMPS.

Mike

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, »
I think that for rooflines, I'm considering the use of smart string nodes.  They are a lot cheaper than using the flex strips and I don't feel that the density of the flex strips is necessary.  The nodes are spaced maybe 3 times as dense as regular C9(s) with 12" spacing ... and I feel they are easily just as bright if not a lot brighter.  Its a different look would be the main concern.  But if you mount them into something fairly waterproof, then it works.  We did a prototype mounting into a PVC tube and it turned out real nice.  I would like to compare the look to regular C9(s) somehow, as I'll have to sell this idea to my neighbor, who (like me) prefers the look of incan. lights.  What I would prefer is hanging up ONE set of lights, then being done quicker.  The nodes also can be spliced easier you repeat across dead spots as needed.  You can use NULL nodes as repeaters and also could eliminate nodes in the software if you wanted.  So to me, thats an interesting option, esp. if the waterproofing concerns can be addressed.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, »
So will these work with RJ's hardware. I want to buy two, but want to make sure.

Sebastian from California

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, »
the short answer is NO,

The long answer is,

There is a lot of different styles and such but the ones that will run on the stuff have links in the wiki. There is no ribbons longer than 4 meters that will work on the SScs due to channel count and current limits this is why I had them make the ones we use in 4 meter lengths. Also since there are many chips, speeds, ect it is hard for us to tell you yes, no with this stuff.

All of the stuff that is cheaper that everyone is seeing is not just a great deal it is not the same stuff.
IMHO the Best bet is to order the correct stuff and know it works with it. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, »
Thank you very much RJ for taking the time and answering my question. I will go ahead and purchase the one in the wiki link in the near future, need to pay for the express' first :)
Sebastian from California

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, »
RJ

The one that is in the WIKI if it is direct wired to a MR16 there should not be any problem. Right now all I want is Red, Green, & White for the complete strip.One color at a time.

Mike

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, »
the ones in the wiki are powered by the smart string hardware. as each led "node" has a chip inside to change it's color

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, »
So the only way this string will work is with a SS controller????????

Mike