Author Topic: rgb vs led  (Read 2959 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
rgb vs led
« on: December 31, 2011, »
This topic came up the other day between my wife and I. I told her that next year I want to do alot more than this year. So we started comparing prices of strings Vs RGB..  I have 16 channels on my mega tree and its a single color. I want it 3 colors next year.. My arches are single color as well on 32 channels. I want 3 colors there as well. So we started with the prices of the led- 32 strings of white, red, and green for the tree = $500.00 per color ----$1500.00 @ cdi.. Now we went to price the arches as well...32 strings as well, so theres another $1500.00.. This aslo means I gotta buy 2 new Le's.. another $200.00...Thats a total of $3,200.00.... She was in shock... Now we started pricing RGB.. 6x 128 count ss + 6x 4M flex strips including shipping was only $857.00.. I need 12 ss controllers and a 16 port hub and the connectors and a few other things that are cheaper than building  3 Le's.. So we decided to go rgb. If I am missing something here, Please let me know...
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline SteveMaris

Re: rgb vs led
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, »
I think you are about right.
Funny thing is I had the same convo with my Wife today.
 No actual dollar figures were revealed though.
I want to stay married.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline grumpy2076

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, »
cane some one give me the web site for cdi thanks
Hey, it's like that old goat says: Rule 11: It's all just a game, so let loose and have fun with it! I mean, a casualty or two along the way is no big deal, right?

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, »

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, »
6 strings of 128 nodes for a mega tree?  768 nodes just doesn't seam like much. I like my tree loaded.  The smart string trees I have seen so far are technically cool, but lack the fullness I like.

Arches on the other hand seam like a perfect candidate for strips and will be much cheaper than strings.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, »
I'm wondering when the RGB strings like CDI has on their pre order will become common?

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, »
Here is another presale going on. I have never dealt with this place. Prices seem ok though.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, »
6 strings of 128 nodes for a mega tree?  768 nodes just doesn't seam like much. I like my tree loaded.  The smart string trees I have seen so far are technically cool, but lack the fullness I like.

Arches on the other hand seam like a perfect candidate for strips and will be much cheaper than strings.
the strings get folded in half.. Although the tree isnt as tall it still looks like 12 strings of light. I havent ordered them yet, so I might order more. The sequencing is gonna be murder.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, »
my 10ft tree this year is 8 strings of 80 nodes (double backed to look like 16 strings of 40)  only 640 nodes
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, »
my 10ft tree this year is 8 strings of 80 nodes (double backed to look like 16 strings of 40)  only 640 nodes
with only 640 pixels, it still looked good.. ;D

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, »
the biggest issue is you cant have 2 colors on at the same time ie. red and blue = purple with basic leds you can.

Offline rm357

rgb vs led
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, »
2 colors at the same time... If you want that effect, you can alternate every other pixel. With individual strands, it take 4 strands just to give you the basic colors RGBW, but you cannot make others - yellow, gold, purple, ....

Also, the ss are much brighter than the incandescents I used last year.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, »
the biggest issue is you cant have 2 colors on at the same time ie. red and blue = purple with basic leds you can.

That is my hot topic also.  I like to have two different colors on at once - red and green, blue and white, green and white, etc.  I have 64 strings (32 channels) on my mega tree and it looks good.  Last year I had a pole issue and could only put up 32 strings and while the tree looked ok, it looked skimpy to me - did not have the fullness that I prefer.  For me I cannot imagine doing a tree with less than 32 strings.  My tree is about 18ft tall, a shorter tree with a smaller number of strings may be ok, but that would still leave me wanting to put up two colors at once and still get the fullness of the tree that we like.  I programmed my gutter and window smart strings this year where every other bulb was a different color and that looked good, but the work to do that on a megatree and spin it would be way more that I would want to consider.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, »
Here is another presale going on. I have never dealt with this place. Prices seem ok though.

These people are fair & honest. I dealt with them last year on some what they call FAST which are the DIY  dripping icicles.

Mike

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, »
granted, my tree is small at 10ft, but it has the appearance of 16 strings of 40 nodes...

part of the sequence it has the bottom 20 nodes alternating red and white, and the top 20 showing blue, then inside the blue, i had random white, like a strobe effect, it looked very patriotic resembling an american flag.

it came out very well, and i couldn't have done that with led strings.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!