Author Topic: rgb vs led  (Read 2958 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: rgb vs led
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, »
I have been expecting this conversation for a while. It is much like when LEDs first started showing up in shows. I read on and on from the two sides.

Side A (dont want leds in my show) - Leds are no good, They are unreliable and do not stand up to the weather, the colors look like a cartoon, they cost way too much and on and on.

Side B (put them in my show love them and will put more out)-  They save power, They look great, the reliablity issues is just short term teething pains and they in the long run will be more reliable, The extra cost is worth it as I do not have to be so careful with them and I do not have power issues running large amounts.

Does it sound familiar?

You are going to have people that will not want rgb or want it on certain items. You will have those that can not live with out it. And over time RGB will settle in to be just another everyday thing we use in shows. Just as LED lights did. Every new thing in the hobby brings the same kind of banter,

Even Animated light shows did. It was "I will never animate my show it looks silly and stupid" others "Man how do I make my lights blink like that to music I can't wait to do it!"

The cycle of lighting change. In the end no ones wrong it is just opinions.

The one stable is this comment "There has got to be better software to make it easier to seqence" This began with the first animated light show and goes on today.

Replections from and only opinions from "RJ"

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline sielbear

rgb vs led
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, »
Jeff-

I asked about the rgb strands from cdi. I was informed that the strands weren't individually controllable colors and that I would not be ale to connect them to something like an mr-16. It sounds like they are pre-programmed for color changes, much like the old chase lights from the late 90s. Just passing along what I was told. I was initially looking at using those for my landscape areas. They looked pretty reliable in terms of design and the math made sense for converting to rgb for a lot more of my show.

Just passing along so people are aware that there are limitations in their use.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here is another presale going on. I have never dealt with this place. Prices seem ok though.
Just looked over their products and thought their IP68 RGB pixels were nicely priced.  ...then noticed that there 12 5V, 4-wire, using a different chip.

Ray's will be fine.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, »
David goes through a bunch of info on RGB nodes including the differences on the chips.  He has a four video series here that is helpful for us new to the RGB technologies.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, »
Its best thought by RJ "In the end no ones wrong it is just opinions. " I think as the incans fade away, the leds will follow one day. The real question is, rgb or led? For me, Im gonna bring the rgb into my show and see how well it works for me. As for the software, who knows if it will ever fully catch up.. But thats another topic..  <fp.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, »
I really doubt that RGB will take over LED's.  They are two different things and have different uses.  The only real reason that LED's haven't already wiped out Icans is the high cost of LED's. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, »
the only reason that rgb's haven't already wiped out led's is the higher cost of rgb's    >:D
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, »
the only reason that rgb's haven't already wiped out led's is the higher cost of rgb's    >:D
Or because there is no easy way to program them.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, »
well, even with the plug in, push a button till you get what you sorta like...   once they drop in price, look out reg led's

Offline tbone321

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, »
That's really not true and if you compare the cost of nodes to that of super strings the nodes tend to cost less.  Any way you want to spin it, RGB requires a controller of some type and that adds to the cost.  Whether it is some type of color changing display with a built in controller or full DIY nodes, without the controller, you got nothing.  Straight LED strings are controller optional.  If you are putting together a static display then all you need are the strings and that is still what the majority of people do.  Some will then possibly add some RGB elements such as color changing icicles but those afre not going to be replacing LED strings either.  RGB and its complexity works well for those of us that are into the hobby and are willing to do the work to create the displays that make the most use of them.  Since the two types fill diffeent needs, I doubt that RGB will replace LED.

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, »
Or because there is no easy way to program them.

This is what everyone thinks but programming RGB's can be really simple.  Its when you are adding in music and trying to control every pixel when it becomes difficult.  RGB's WILL replace LED's.  Why would you not want to buy a string of lights that you can push a button and pick the color?
Will

Offline tbone321

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, »
What if the color that I want is not one that is offered in the pre-programmed controller.  What if all I really want is white.  Why should I pay twice or more the price for no added value.  What if later I may want to add them to a show and dim them.  I would bet that these push button color change lights will not be dimmable.  Back in the day you could get Icans that had controllers built into them for multi-functions and they didn't take wipe out the standard sets either.

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, »
What if the color that I want is not one that is offered in the pre-programmed controller.  What if all I really want is white.  Why should I pay twice or more the price for no added value.  What if later I may want to add them to a show and dim them.  I would bet that these push button color change lights will not be dimmable.  Back in the day you could get Icans that had controllers built into them for multi-functions and they didn't take wipe out the standard sets either.

I am talking smart strings.  They are that easy.  you want white, make them white then while you are at it why not make node 5 and 10 glimmer.  Hell, its new years eve and I'm drunk!  White is boooorrring....bam!  Red , white and blue.  While I'm at it I'm gonna make a big blood spot on that white deer on the neck....hahahaha Dude its limitless and it does not cost that much more.  Whatever you can think of drunk or sober you can do.  Once you change the color you just unplug your laptop and move on.

All my lights are purple and gold at the moment for LSU and the championship game.

After that they will be purple, green and gold for Mardi Gras.

Then Red, white and blue for the 4th.

then............
Will

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, »
This topic came up the other day between my wife and I. I told her that next year I want to do alot more than this year. So we started comparing prices of strings Vs RGB..  I have 16 channels on my mega tree and its a single color. I want it 3 colors next year.. My arches are single color as well on 32 channels. I want 3 colors there as well. So we started with the prices of the led- 32 strings of white, red, and green for the tree = $500.00 per color ----$1500.00 @ cdi.. Now we went to price the arches as well...32 strings as well, so theres another $1500.00.. This aslo means I gotta buy 2 new Le's.. another $200.00...Thats a total of $3,200.00.... She was in shock... Now we started pricing RGB.. 6x 128 count ss + 6x 4M flex strips including shipping was only $857.00.. I need 12 ss controllers and a 16 port hub and the connectors and a few other things that are cheaper than building  3 Le's.. So we decided to go rgb. If I am missing something here, Please let me know...

beefmeister, i can to the same conclusion recently, deciding whether to go with flex strips on my arches, or 4 strings of leds. (rgbw) wow, what a cost savings!  even with the hub, sscs, and NO extension cords!!!

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, »
I am talking smart strings.  They are that easy.  you want white, make them white then while you are at it why not make node 5 and 10 glimmer.  Hell, its new years eve and I'm drunk!  White is boooorrring....bam!  Red , white and blue.  While I'm at it I'm gonna make a big blood spot on that white deer on the neck....hahahaha Dude its limitless and it does not cost that much more.  Whatever you can think of drunk or sober you can do.  Once you change the color you just unplug your laptop and move on.

All my lights are purple and gold at the moment for LSU and the championship game.

After that they will be purple, green and gold for Mardi Gras.

Then Red, white and blue for the 4th.

then............

I'm not sure if i'm gonna want to see your show when you program it drunk....     might be a cross between christmas and halloween!