Author Topic: rgb vs led  (Read 2958 times)

Offline TheBanker

Re: rgb vs led
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This topic came up the other day between my wife and I. I told her that next year I want to do alot more than this year. So we started comparing prices of strings Vs RGB..  I have 16 channels on my mega tree and its a single color. I want it 3 colors next year.. My arches are single color as well on 32 channels. I want 3 colors there as well. So we started with the prices of the led- 32 strings of white, red, and green for the tree = $500.00 per color ----$1500.00 @ cdi.. Now we went to price the arches as well...32 strings as well, so theres another $1500.00.. This aslo means I gotta buy 2 new Le's.. another $200.00...Thats a total of $3,200.00.... She was in shock... Now we started pricing RGB.. 6x 128 count ss + 6x 4M flex strips including shipping was only $857.00.. I need 12 ss controllers and a 16 port hub and the connectors and a few other things that are cheaper than building  3 Le's.. So we decided to go rgb. If I am missing something here, Please let me know...

I agree.  Only cat5 cable!  No extension cords and it all runs off of one computer power supply!

beefmeister, i can to the same conclusion recently, deciding whether to go with flex strips on my arches, or 4 strings of leds. (rgbw) wow, what a cost savings!  even with the hub, sscs, and NO extension cords!!!
Will

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, »
Rgb's will have a bigger impact on shows in the future. It is a matter of the lights getting better as they are. Will they replace leds? No they will just be used more and more along side them. Some users will be all RGB but some will be leds with some RGB. It is really what you want and are happy with.

I am moving more to RGB. I have even bigger plans this year for RGB now that better nodes have come out. I plan eves windows roof and a serious mega tree with RGB Star on top. But I will still have a lot of std LEDS in the yard also.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, »
Rgb's will have a bigger impact on shows in the future. It is a matter of the lights getting better as they are. Will they replace leds? No they will just be used more and more along side them. Some users will be all RGB but some will be leds with some RGB. It is really what you want and are happy with.

I am moving more to RGB. I have even bigger plans this year for RGB now that better nodes have come out. I plan eves windows roof and a serious mega tree with RGB Star on top. But I will still have a lot of std LEDS in the yard also.

RJ

One thing i noticed that could be a limiting factor..., as the rgb led displays get bigger and bigger...   i just looked at my comuter power supply tonight...   for the 50A @ 12v power it uses, the PSU itself, uses 10A od 110v AC....    the more and more Active Hubs we use, the more power supplies, and we'll push our household current up.   I'm sure we see that no matter what form of light emissions we use, just making an observation that just b/c it's led's, doesn' tmean it limitless power, 4 of these would be over my 2 circuits added from my ciruit panel...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, »
Welcome to the world of bi displays Chris.  As said before, I push more than 100A and have even more planned for next year.  I do intend to convert to more LED but other items will probably keep the current requirements high.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2012, »
The effects that the rgb can do seems to be better for less money and, I know that the software isn't the greatest yet but im confident it will be sooner than later. I've raised my budget for this year because of the savings from the led to rgb. More bang for my buck. From the arches to the eves and of course, the mega tree. So with a lil luck and some good software, I will have a great RGB show, with some incans ...lol
Its the most wonderful time of the year.