Author Topic: Maps?  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Maps?
« on: February 01, 2012, »
The map currently listed in the Wiki for the PIC programmers is out of date.  It was last updated in 2009 (when it was also created).  I asked earlier if I might get my location added to the map, and it really didn't happen.

So, I thought... "Why not a new map?" :)

I've created 2 maps... one for DLA members, and another for DLA (PIC) programmers.
I've opened the access so that you can forward the URL to others, and I've also opened it so that anyone can add to the list.

For those security-conscious people... this is ripe with problems.  Anyone can alter or remove anyone else's listings.  There are no protections to ensure that the editors and viewers are even members of this forum.

The only security for now is that the url is unknown to the world -- at least until someone shares the url.

I could remove edit rights so that only I can edit.
I could remove view rights, but the value greatly diminishes... :)
I could limit by users, but then there is user management overhead because the users in google are not the same users in DLA.

I wanted to get the group's thoughts on this...  I can imagine it to be useful during the holidays to find great-looking displays.  I can imagine it to be useful in getting groups together for soldering parties or troubleshooting advice.  I can also see the benefit in finding someone nearby with a PIC to flash your firmware image.

I created TinyUrl.com alias for these links to make them easy to remember.
It looks like TinyUrl.com is easily hijacked... it happened within seconds.  So, I'll look for another friendly URL tool.  Until then I'll share the raw URLs.
I have now replaced them with Bit.ly urls.

Anyone uncomfortable with having your address listed has 2 (or more?) choices...
  • don't add your address
  • supply a pinpoint with a nearby address -- like the city-center

Let me know if the idea is worthwhile...
Let me know if the security should be tightened...
Let me know (administrators) if the links can be added to the Wiki.

DLA membership map: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

DLA PIC programmer map: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Maps?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, »
I think your first one is already hijacked?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline thestig

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, »
Steve, your first link is not right. At least im pretty sure you didn't mean to send us to that site??? lol

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think your first one is already hijacked?

RJ
yep, already hijacked.  I've updated the posting with the ral urls for now, and I'll look for a better solution for the friendly URLs.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, »
That's cool. I don't know how to make the maps. I think they should probably only have the user names on them instead of actual names.

Rich

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, »
That's cool. I don't know how to make the maps. I think they should probably only have the user names on them instead of actual names.

Rich
When people add entries they can choose to go with forum names, real names, or whatever they choose. 

I can create a posting (or wiki page) on the procedure to edit the maps I've provided. 

...Essentially, when you visit the map you have a link that allows you to add the map your "My places".  You will need to have a Google account and be logged in for that step to be done.  Once you have the map in your list, you can visit your address and select for that address to be added to one of the maps shown in your account.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, by Steve Gase »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, »
your dla members is lsh members?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, »
your dla members is lsh members?
I created a similar map for LSH and mixed up the URLs in the posting.  Now fixed.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, »
n1st lives in the water
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, »
n1st lives in the water

Now I understand why he wants to play with such small parts!!!!!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, »
Steve,

I got my info on there. Thanks for doing this.

Rich

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, »
Steve -

Thanks for doing this.  I FINALLY figured out how to add my info.  My only concern:  It is possible to edit the information for anyone listed. 

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, »
Steve -

Thanks for doing this.  I FINALLY figured out how to add my info.  My only concern:  It is possible to edit the information for anyone listed.
Until/unless I lock it down so that only I can make changes -- yes, anyone can screw up another's entry.

It is also possible to add a list of editors, and restrict edit rights to them only.

My thought was to see how big of a problem keeping it open might be by watching it for several days.

While it is still open, a lot of people can quickly get their addresses added without being delayed by me.  After it stabilizes I could adjust permissions so that a smaller number of people could make the changes -- again, this can be done if there are problems that necessitate this approach.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, »
Thanks Steve
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rfallatt

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, »
Pretty cool Im In there!