Hardware > Other Projects

PixelNet to DMX

<< < (2/6) > >>

Steve Gase:
To give you an idea of the sort of second-guessing you can expect from me... :)

1) Would the cost and trouble be less for a pair of PCB-mounted RJ45 jacks compared to the pair of pigtails?

2) Would your processor be able to provide (4) DMX universes with the 4 pairs of wires?  Downstream you could use a (de)combiner to separate out the 4 pairs.  (this approach would mean no pass-through power, but most DMX devices wouldn't know how to handle it anyway...)

It looks good, and I can't wait to add it to my show!!

einstein2883:
Ok I think I have got enough testers (about 6). I will send you all a PM.

tbone321:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginTo give you an idea of the sort of second-guessing you can expect from me... :)

1) Would the cost and trouble be less for a pair of PCB-mounted RJ45 jacks compared to the pair of pigtails?

2) Would your processor be able to provide (4) DMX universes with the 4 pairs of wires?  Downstream you could use a (de)combiner to separate out the 4 pairs.  (this approach would mean no pass-through power, but most DMX devices wouldn't know how to handle it anyway...)

I would think that the purpose here it to prove it functional, not to redesign it. 

It looks good, and I can't wait to add it to my show!!

--- End quote ---

einstein2883:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login1) Would the cost and trouble be less for a pair of PCB-mounted RJ45 jacks compared to the pair of pigtails?

--- End quote ---
This could really be argued both ways... I think by having it use pigtails it makes it more flexible.  Its also harder to use RJ45 jacks and put it into a PVC pipe. You would have to drill a bigger hole in the end cap or put a new end on the cat5 cable.  Also If you only need to go a few feet you could get away with just cutting a cat5 cable in half and soldering that in.  You could also solder a male on one side and a female on the other or the other way around.  It just all depends on where the user is looking to put this.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login2) Would your processor be able to provide (4) DMX universes with the 4 pairs of wires?  Downstream you could use a (de)combiner to separate out the 4 pairs.  (this approach would mean no pass-through power, but most DMX devices wouldn't know how to handle it anyway...)

--- End quote ---
The PIC I am using only supports 2 serial ports (PixelNet IN, DMX OUT). So to add any more outputs it would take a big re-design (more chips and software).  Sorry its not going to be possible right now.

The power on the output side (on the right) was meant to go with the pixelnet data that is also passed to that side of the board so that you could still run a SSC after.

Thank you for the suggestions keep them coming... but for now I think the HW side is good.

Steve Gase:
Good points.  Thanks for considering the suggestions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version