Author Topic: RGB Automotive Lighting  (Read 1069 times)

Offline mmais68569

RGB Automotive Lighting
« on: August 24, 2011, »
Ok Here is what I want to do but have no idea what I need to make it work. I have a restored 1978 Ford Bronco what I want to do is add RGB LEDs to the underside that will change colors to the music. I have looked at a few items on Ebay but can not find musical controlled lights. I am looking at needing about 16' to go around the underside of the truck. Also how will these hook up to the existing 12V battery.  Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Mike

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: RGB Automotive Lighting
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, »
Mike, I'm doing some wireless RGB objects in my display this year.  I have some ideas on how you might want to go with this.  PM me with your email sometime.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, »
Hi Mike

Please check to make sure its legal in your area to add ground effects lighting to your vehicle. I know in my area its not and I would get a big ticket for it.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, »
I only plan to use it at car shows with the truck parked.

Mike

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, »
I found this on Ray Wu's site, although I don't have enough knowledge to help further. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Looks like you would have to find a compatible RGB strip for it, and then just run a wire to your battery.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, »
I found this on Ray Wu's site, although I don't have enough knowledge to help further. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Looks like you would have to find a compatible RGB strip for it, and then just run a wire to your battery.

I think that will work what about using these LEDs for the RGB? I will need to run 2 strings.

Mike

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, »
Those modules work good.  Every time I order them, they have holes on the ends, not the side ... but they are nice.  They are 20-30% thinner than SS modules and about 1/2 the price.  They are 4-wire and 12v.  I run mine off 12v LiOn batter packs.  I think one pack can run 20 of them, but I've been doing most of my testing with 10 ... and they run hours and hours.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline JerryPlak

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, »
just a word of warning about LED Automotive Lighting
Automotive a 12 volt system. Each cell provides 2.1 volts for a total of 12.6 volt at full charge

The charging system provides a fixed voltage of typically 13.8 to 14.4 V (Volt)

most controller don't like voltage over 12.2 volt
I hate to see anyone blow-up there LEDs or controller  :-[
Jerry Plak

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, »
Thanks for the links.  I searched ebay and found the same controller for cheaper.  It is rated at 5 amp and is 3 channels of rgb (9 total).  I also found this 2 channel (6 total) rated at 10 amps output.  It has a remote with per-programmed sequences and also the dance to audio.  I ordered one of the black 10 amp just now to play around with.  Looks like they will make interesting rgb color organs.  Can't wait to hook up a few rainbow floods just to see what it does.

Ray's is $30 delivered and the same on ebay for $23 delivered You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ron

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, by trekster »
My 2010 Videos