Author Topic: Questions about smart strings.  (Read 4470 times)

Offline sittinguphigh

Questions about smart strings.
« on: March 16, 2011, »
How many amps does a 128 smart string with a controller use?

Can you use a 12 volt battery to run a light string?

Can you run smart strings in a line one after the other if you seperate them with a smart string controller? Not using a hub.

Can you seperate a 128 smart string by extending the wire in the middle of the string? Lets say by a foot or two. That would make two sets of light strings with a two foot wire seperating them using one smart string controller.

Thanks

Mort

What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Questions about smart strings.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How many amps does a 128 smart string with a controller use?

Check the power requirements document in the wiki :

Can you use a 12 volt battery to run a light string?

No 12v batteries are not really 12 volts these need 12v DC regulated power

Can you run smart strings in a line one after the other if you seperate them with a smart string controller? Not using a hub.

No the power comes from the cable to the controller they can not be daisy chained in that way. The power is put in the cable with at the hub you must use a hub.

Can you seperate a 128 smart string by extending the wire in the middle of the string? Lets say by a foot or two. That would make two sets of light strings with a two foot wire seperating them using one smart string controller.

Yes but not real far. A few feet would be fine. you also can not do this over and over on a 128 node string as the lenght of cable over all matters. You can do it more on a shorter string.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, »
Thanks RJ for the information. Your always got something bigger and better to up grade to. That's great.

Let me see if I got you right.

You need to use a AC  power source and convert it to DC. Because a lead battery is not really 12 volts.  So there is no way to make it work with strait battery power. So I would use a invertor to make it work with a battery. What would I need to convert AC to DC?  Can I get something small in size? I'm limited on space.

And I take it that the strings can't be used without the controllor.

It would be great to have RGB for the Christmas Parade.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, by sittinguphigh »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, »
Instead of going from 13 - 14 volts DC to 120v ac then back to 12v dc why not find a 12v DC/DC power supply that will take in 13-14 v DC and give you regulated clean 12v.

I can not help beyond saying they exist but do not know what one would cost. It all depends on the amount of amps you need(lts of nodes or just a few.)

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, »
RJ, whenever I measure a car battery, I get 12V, now when the car is running, the alternator will kick up the voltage as high as 14+ volts, but a car battery alone (no charger, or what not) should be 12V or am I really wrong (again)?  12.1, or 12.2 should not matter as well as a little lower, or are these nodes really voltage spike sensative?
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, »
Car Batteries are not 12 volts

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, »
OK that would work. I take it I would need kit 3?

I'm I limited to the lenght of the wire before the smart string controller?

Thanks

Mort

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, »
The main deterant (for me) would be that the battery would have no regulation in the event of a short.  Ok technically it would due to the back emf produced by the batteries internal resistance, but that is not going to be issue enough to stop your wires, controllers, etc from getting toasted.  

Using a sine or square wave inverter and subsequently re converting to DC would likely consume 10-20% (or more) of the power of the system due to loses in the inverter/rectifier. May not be an issue really since your thinking of a mobile show, but that would depend on the output current needed and the size of the alternator on the vehicle and any other demands on the alternator.  I would say RJ is correct.  A DC/DC converter would be the best choice.  
Since we are only talking ideas, you could use a good compact AC generator.  I would suggest a field load though on the generator since their regulators typically do a better job regulating 2500 to 2900 watts than they do 0 - 400 watts.

On a side note, if you're dead set on using batteries, you could make some Edison cells (DIY style!) and string 10 of them together for 12v.  Charge density is a bit of an issue along with charge efficiency, but they practically never wear out!  (sorta expensive to make right now though and probably not very compact.)  Also if you did end up with a 13.2v battery, since that is only a 10 percent variance (12.6v is only 5%) that would most likely be within the tolerance of the 12v components, but someone with the tech sheets for all the components would have to make that call.  Ironically that article says car batteries are not 12v, but spends most of its time talking about the charging requirements of different composition batteries instead of the actual battery voltages.  Good read though!

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, »
I would be using a wheel chair only battery and no charging system. I only need it for 3 hours.

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, »
How many amp hours is the battery rated for, and what all are you planning on running off of it?  I'm concerned that if it is running a good sized show/computer, it may run out of capacity before the 3 hours.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, »
I have 36 amp battery and a 26 amp battery if I need it.  6 to 8 sections at  25 to 50 lights nods. 

Offline travailen

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, »
Maybe you could use two batteries and get a 24VDC to 12VDC converter. That would give you good regulation, short circuit protection and you could run the batteries down to about 9 volts and still get your 12VDC for the lights.

Rick S

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, »
Didn't know you could do that.

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, »
So worst case scenario would be 400 nodes running pure white which is roughly .03A per node at 12v that is 12A max draw (neglecting controller loads).  With no loses a brand new 36 Ah battery would do it (barely), but since it's a christmas parade and temps are probably not going to be around 80 degrees so it probably isn't enough battery.  Now if your actual draw was 3 amps average it would run you for 10ish hours.  Make sure its a 36 Ah battery though and the 36 amps is not a HCA or CCA rating as those are about worthless for figuring capacity. 

Using both in series and going 24 to 12v is a very good idea! it would also drop the max draw to 6 amps and give you ample capacity to run that for more than the required time.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, »
Just looked around at DC to DC and AC/DC power supplies.

I couldn't find any thing that would work yet.